About This Chapter
America in the 1980s - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter begins with an examination of trends in American society during the 1980s. Particular attention is also paid to the presidency of Ronald Reagan and his political conservatism. Lessons will examine the successes and failures of Reaganomics as well as Reagan's foreign policies. Later lessons cover George H.W. Bush's presidency, looking at both his domestic and foreign policies. This chapter will teach you about:
- Trends in American society during the 1980s
- The reemergence of political conservatism in 1980
- Ronald Reagan's economic policy of Reaganomics
- The foreign policies of President Ronald Reagan and President George H.W. Bush
|New Trends in American Life in the 1980s||Examine major trends of Americans living during the 1980s.|
|The Election of Ronald Reagan in 1980: A Reemergence of Economic and Political Conservatism||Look at the presidential election of Ronald Reagan in 1980, paying particular attention to his policies of economic and political conservatism.|
|Reaganomics: Success, Failures, and Effects||Analyze the successes and failures of Reaganomics, along with its lasting effects on the American economy.|
|President Ronald Reagan's Foreign Policy||Understand the major tenets of President Ronald Reagan's foreign policy.|
|President George H.W. Bush: Foreign Policy||Explore the differences in the foreign policy of President H.W. Bush, who took office after Reagan.|
|President George H.W. Bush: Domestic Policy and Accomplishments||Explain the domestic policies and accomplishments of President H.W. Bush during his term from 1989-1993.|
1. New Trends in American Life in the 1980s
The 1980s represented a drastic change in American society, one not seen since the 1920s. Learn more about the decade, including its lifestyle trends, new consumer goods and expanding cultures, in this video lesson.
2. The Election of Ronald Reagan in 1980: A Reemergence of Economic & Political Conservatism
The presidential election of 1980 witnessed the transition from liberal to conservative politics in America. Learn about Ronald Reagan's campaign to become President of the United States in 1980 in this video lesson.
3. Reaganomics: Success, Failures & Effects
'Reaganomics' represented President Ronald Reagan's attempt at energizing the inert American economy following the 1970s. Learn about the program, as well as its successes and failures, in this lesson.
4. President Ronald Reagan's Foreign Policy
President Ronald Reagan's foreign policy was an aggressive attempt to renew the Cold War with the Soviet Union. Learn about the policies, actions and results of Reagan's foreign policy in this lesson.
5. President George H.W. Bush: Foreign Policy
President George H.W. Bush's foreign policy was a pragmatic blend of diplomacy and force. Learn more about Bush's international affairs during his tenure as President of the United States.
6. President George H.W. Bush: Domestic Policy and Accomplishments
President George H.W. Bush's domestic agenda reflected a change in ideology. Learn about the domestic challenges Bush faced, his handling of the issues and his overall achievements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the US History: Middle School course
- First Contacts in the Americas
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- The Revolutionary War
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- American Industrialization of the Late 19th Century
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- American Imperialism & World War I
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- America and the Second World War
- Post-War and the Cold War
- Civil Rights Movements in America
- America in the 1970s
- America from 1992 to the Present