About This Chapter
American Conflicts & Wars in the 21st Century - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive American history chapter discusses several U.S. conflicts and wars during the 21st century. Work through the chapter at your own pace to review the history of the 9/11 attacks, the War on Terror, the Iraq War, the War in Afghanistan, nuclear weapon proliferation and more. The chapter comes with short quizzes that go over important terms and concepts from the lessons. You can also access this chapter online at any time that fits your schedule. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Discuss George W. Bush's reaction to the the 9/11 terrorist attacks
- Evaluate the September 11th attacks, the War on Terror, the Iraq War and the War in Afghanistan
- Tell how American society and politics was impacted by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Explain the War on Terror's use of torture
- Describe America's deterrence of nuclear weapon proliferation
- Evaluate the development of American warfare during the 21st century
1. George W. Bush: the 9/11 Terrorist Attack & War on Terror
The September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States forced President George W. Bush to reappraise his foreign policy. Learn about the tragic day, the Bush Doctrine and the ensuing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
2. September 11th & the War on Terror
September 11, 2001 was a day of terrorist attacks by radical Islamists against the United States. In New York, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, nearly 3,000 people were killed. As a result, the United States launched a War on Terror that has lasted over a decade since.
3. The War in Afghanistan: Causes, Timeline & Controversy
The War in Afghanistan began in 2001 after the September 11 attacks. United States and NATO coalition forces attacked Taliban and Al Qaeda forces. As of 2014, United States personnel are withdrawing from the country, ending over a decade of fighting.
4. Understanding the Iraq War
The Iraq War lasted from 2003-2011. Thousands of American and Coalition forces died during the conflict, as well as many thousands of Iraqis. The American decision to go to war in Iraq remains controversial today.
5. Impact of the Wars in Afghanistan & Iraq on American Society & Politics
In this lesson we explore public opinion surrounding the 21st-century wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We also discuss why and how it changed, and how that change in public opinion helped lead to an electoral victory.
6. History of Using Torture in the War on Terror
The world thought it had agreed that torture was unequivocally wrong. Then 9/11 happened. In this lesson, we'll see how the War on Terror reintroduced this debate and how torture impacted the fight against terrorism.
7. American Deterrence of Nuclear Weapon Proliferation
Nuclear threats are nothing to sneeze at, and this hasn't changed since the end of the Cold War. In this lesson, we'll see how the world has tried to prevent nuclear war, by stopping the spread of nuclear weapons, and see if it's working.
8. America & Warfare in the 21st Century: Development & Actors
In this lesson we explore some of the trends that affect warfare in the 21st century. From smaller armies to big leaps in technology to the use of the internet, war looks markedly different than it did even a generation ago.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History 309: War & American Society course
- Introduction to War & American Society
- War & the American Colonies
- The American Revolutionary War
- America & the War of 1812
- American Conflicts & Wars Between 1820-1860
- The American Civil War Overview
- America & the Indian Wars
- America, War & Imperialism in the 1890s
- America in World War I
- America in World War II
- America & the Cold War
- U.S. Conflicts & Wars Post-Cold War
- Required Assignments for History 309