About This Chapter
American Geography Overview - Chapter Summary
Students can use this overview of American geography to enhance their understanding of events and natural occurrences that have impacted the geography of the United States. Lessons explore regions of the country, evolution of those regions and ways geography influenced the early United States. Reviewing this chapter will enable students to:
- Identify and describe the regions and ecoregions of the United States
- Describe the human and physical characteristics of the U.S.
- Explain how geography has influenced the early United States
- Share the history and effects of U.S. environment modification
- Discuss the evolution of places and regions in the United States
Resources in this chapter make it easy for students to fully comprehend this overview of American geography. Video and text lessons provide in-depth information and feature quizzes that reinforce concepts by testing students' knowledge. A chapter exam also provides a comprehensive review of lesson topics. If students feel confused about any concepts covered in this chapter, they can send their questions to our experts.
1. What are the Regions of the United States?
What are the regions of the United States? This lesson discusses the different regional areas and their significance to American culture. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
2. Ecoregions of the United States
Ecoregions exist throughout the natural world. However, what exactly is an ecoregion? How are they defined and what do they have in common? This lesson addresses those questions with a detailed look at ecoregions in the United States.
3. Mapping the Physical and Human Characteristics of the United States
After watching this video, you will be able to describe the physical and human characteristics of the United States, including cities, mountains, rivers, and valleys, among others. A short quiz will follow.
4. How Geography Influenced the Early United States
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how the settlements of the United States developed and how the geography of the natural landscape impacted the positions of those settlements. A short quiz will follow.
5. U.S. Environmental Modification: History, Examples & Effects
American history is full of incidents from the interaction between humans and the environment. In this lesson, we'll talk about the history of environmental modification and look at some major examples.
6. The Evolution of Places & Regions in the United States
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how land use has evolved over time in the United States and provide some possible reasons for why those changes occurred. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Social Studies - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- European Exploration & Colonization in America
- The Revolutionary Era
- Important People of the Revolutionary War
- Early American Government
- Jacksonian America
- Westward Expansion in America
- Sectionalism in the U.S.
- The American Civil War Era
- Famous Addresses of the American Civil War
- Significant Civil War Era Figures
- The Reconstruction Era After the American Civil War
- History of American Immigration
- Defining American Culture
- History of American Arts
- Principles of American Government
- Origin of Self-Government
- U.S. Supreme Court Cases & Decisions
- American Citizenship Overview
- American Political Parties & Interest Groups
- American Leadership & Contributions
- History of American Economics
- Impact of Science & Technology on American Society
- Social Studies Skills
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Social Studies - Grade 8 Flashcards