About This Chapter
American Leadership & Contributions - Chapter Summary
Use of these lessons will increase understanding of American leadership and contributions. People like Susan B. Anthony, John Paul Jones, and James Monroe are discussed, along with other lesson topics, like:
- Definition and examples of elected vs appointed U.S. leaders
- Women's rights significance and facts
- Summary and explanation of the life of Frederick Douglass
- The Monroe Doctrine
- General Stonewall Jackson
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Lessons are short and engaging, and continuous progress can be made on this chapter by logging on using any mobile device and spending a few minutes completing the next lesson. An accompanying self-assessment quiz ensures the material is understood by students. Questions can be submitted directly to a Study.com expert.
1. Elected vs. Appointed U.S. Leaders: Definition & Examples
This lesson explains the definition of elected leaders and appointed leaders in the United States, and the qualities of leadership that helped some leaders shape the country's most prominent public offices.
2. Who Was Susan B. Anthony? - Women's Rights Facts & Significance
This lesson discusses the life and work of Susan B. Anthony. Learn more about her fight for women's rights, including the fight for women's suffrage, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
3. Life & Times of Frederick Douglass: Summary & Explanation
This lesson discusses 'The Life and Times of Frederick Douglass', which was published in 1892. It is a final, cumulative autobiographical work and contains recollections of his childhood in slavery, his eventual escape, and his many achievements as a freed Black man.
4. John Paul Jones: Biography, Facts & Quotes
John Paul Jones was the first naval hero of the American Revolution. His success against a superior British Fleet helped build him a international reputation as a great naval tactician.
5. James Monroe's Presidency: The Monroe Doctrine
Can you imagine a time when there was only one political party in the United States? Find out why James Monroe was one of the nation's most popular presidents during his lifetime and learn about his foreign policy that endured for nearly a century.
6. General Stonewall Jackson in the Civil War: Facts & Battles
Thomas Jonathan 'Stonewall' Jackson was a famous Confederate general in the American Civil War. He played a key role in major Confederate victories from July 1861 to his death following the Battle of Chancellorsville in 1863.
7. Elizabeth Cady Stanton: Women's Rights Facts & Accomplishments
Elizabeth Cady Stanton was one of most important women's rights activists of the 1800s. Read about her key contributions in the struggle for American women's right to vote, own property and have equality in marriage.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Social Studies - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- European Exploration & Colonization in America
- The Revolutionary Era
- Important People of the Revolutionary War
- Early American Government
- Jacksonian America
- Westward Expansion in America
- Sectionalism in the U.S.
- The American Civil War Era
- Famous Addresses of the American Civil War
- Significant Civil War Era Figures
- The Reconstruction Era After the American Civil War
- American Geography Overview
- History of American Immigration
- Defining American Culture
- History of American Arts
- Principles of American Government
- Origin of Self-Government
- U.S. Supreme Court Cases & Decisions
- American Citizenship Overview
- American Political Parties & Interest Groups
- History of American Economics
- Impact of Science & Technology on American Society
- Social Studies Skills
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Social Studies - Grade 8 Flashcards