About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Amsco Essentials of Geometry chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the essentials of geometry topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Undefined terms
- Characteristics of real numbers
- Defining lines and line segments
- Bisectors and midpoints
- Angles and rays
- Other angle definitions
Amsco is a registered trademark of Amsco, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Undefined Terms of Geometry: Concepts & Significance
What do points, lines, planes, and sets have in common? Watch this video lesson to find out what they are, what they look like, and why they are called undefined terms.
2. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
3. Line Segments & Rays: Definition & Measurement
Watch this video lesson to learn the difference between a line segment and a ray. You will also learn how to measure and add line segments. Learn why you can't measure or add a ray.
4. Line Segment Bisection & Midpoint Theorem: Geometric Construction
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to bisect a line segment without measurements using just a compass and a straight edge. You'll also learn about the midpoint theorem, which lets you calculate the midpoint if you have the measurements.
5. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
6. Triangles: Definition and Properties
What makes a shape a triangle? In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a triangle, then analyze the parts of triangles, including the vertices, base and height.
7. Classifying Triangles by Angles and Sides
Not all triangles are the same. There are equilateral, isosceles and scalene triangles. Then there are right, acute and obtuse triangles. In this lesson, we'll learn how to classify triangles using their sides and angles.
8. Interior and Exterior Angles of Triangles: Definition & Examples
Knowing just a few things about the interior or exterior angles of triangles is sometimes all you need to put all the pieces together. Find out more in this lesson.
9. Measuring the Angles of Triangles: 180 Degrees
Watch this video lesson to see why a triangle's angles always add up to 180 degrees. Also, learn how you can use this unique fact about triangles to find an unknown angle in a triangle.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Amsco Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 2: Logic
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 3: Proving Statements in Geometry
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 4: Congruence of Line Segments, Angles, and Triangles
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 5: Congruence Based on Triangles
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 6: Transformations and the Coordinate Plane
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 8: Slopes and Equations of Lines
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 9: Parallel Lines
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 10: Quadrilaterals
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 11: Geometry of Three Dimensions
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 12: Ratio, Proportion, and Similarity
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 13: Geometry of a Circle
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 14: Locus and Construction