About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Amsco Geometry of a Circle chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the geometry of a circle topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Arcs and angles
- Central, circumscribed and inscribed angles
- Secants and tangents
- Angles constructed by chords, secants and tangents
- Equations of and graphing circles
- Parallel lines
- Geometric loci
- Equidistant lines and points
Amsco is a registered trademark of Amsco, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Properties of Shapes: Circles
Circles are fundamental to everything we do. But, did you know they're much more than just round shapes? In this lesson, we'll look at the various parts of circles and how they all relate.
2. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
3. Circular Arcs and Circles: Definitions and Examples
What is a circle? In this lesson, find out all about the circle and its many parts, including circular arcs and semicircles. Also, discover how a locus works in creating a circle, parallel lines and more.
4. Measure of an Arc: Process & Practice
What is the measure of an arc? And what is the difference between a minor arc and a major arc? Find out all that and practice finding the measure of an arc in this lesson.
5. Arc Length of a Sector: Definition and Area
In this lesson, we'll slice up a circle like it's a pizza and learn how to find out useful information about our slices. We'll find out the area of these sectors, or pie slices. We'll also learn about arc lengths.
6. Central and Inscribed Angles: Definitions and Examples
When we're working with circles, there are two key angles to know: central angles and inscribed angles. These angles have a few special theorems, which we'll discuss and practice using in this lesson.
7. Inscribed and Circumscribed Figures: Definition & Construction
A square and a circle may be different shapes, but they still can have a unique relationship. In this lesson, we'll learn about inscribed and circumscribed figures.
8. How to Find the Measure of an Inscribed Angle
Finding the measure of an inscribed angle requires knowing a little information. In this lesson, we'll find the measure of an inscribed angle when we know the measure of the central angle or one or more of the arcs formed by the angle.
9. Tangent of a Circle: Definition & Theorems
What happens when a line just barely touches a circle? It's a tangent! In this lesson, we'll learn all about tangents to circles, including a few key theorems. We'll also look at tangent circles.
10. Measurements of Angles Involving Tangents, Chords & Secants
When lines and circles meet, angles are formed. Fortunately, we can determine the measure of these angles, whether they're formed by tangents, secants or chords, just by knowing the measure of the created arcs.
11. Graphing Circles: Identifying the Formula, Center and Radius
Discover how to graph circles by finding key information like the center and radius. Identify circles by simply looking at the formula, and vice versa.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Amsco Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 1: Essentials of Geometry
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 2: Logic
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 3: Proving Statements in Geometry
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 4: Congruence of Line Segments, Angles, and Triangles
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 5: Congruence Based on Triangles
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 6: Transformations and the Coordinate Plane
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 8: Slopes and Equations of Lines
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 9: Parallel Lines
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 10: Quadrilaterals
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 11: Geometry of Three Dimensions
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 12: Ratio, Proportion, and Similarity
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 14: Locus and Construction