About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Amsco Proving Statements in Geometry chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the proving statements in geometry topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Deductive and inductive reasoning
- Direct and indirect proofs
- Postulates, theorems and proofs
- Substitution postulates
- Addition and subtraction postulates
- Multiplication and division postulates
Amsco is a registered trademark of Amsco, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Inductive & Deductive Reasoning in Geometry: Definition & Uses
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn how important inductive and deductive reasoning is in the field of mathematics, especially when dealing with proofs in geometry. Learn how these two fundamental forms of reasoning give rise to formal theorems.
2. Properties and Postulates of Geometric Figures
In geometry, there are some basic postulates that are relied upon as the basis for other theorems. Watch this video to learn about the postulates that deal with points, lines, and planes.
3. Algebraic Laws and Geometric Postulates
Watch this video to learn about the basic algebraic laws that are also part of the basic geometric postulates that form the basis for the geometry that we know and study today.
4. Euclid's Axiomatic Geometry: Developments & Postulates
Learn how the way we do proofs in geometry had its start with Euclid in this video lesson. Learn about his contributions to the geometry we know today. Also learn about the five basic truths that he used as a basis for all other teachings.
5. Triangle Congruence Postulates: SAS, ASA & SSS
When we have two triangles, how can we tell if they're congruent? They may look the same, but you can be certain by using one of several triangle congruence postulates, such as SSS, SAS or ASA.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Amsco Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 1: Essentials of Geometry
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 2: Logic
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 4: Congruence of Line Segments, Angles, and Triangles
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 5: Congruence Based on Triangles
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 6: Transformations and the Coordinate Plane
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 8: Slopes and Equations of Lines
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 9: Parallel Lines
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 10: Quadrilaterals
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 11: Geometry of Three Dimensions
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 12: Ratio, Proportion, and Similarity
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 13: Geometry of a Circle
- Amsco Geometry Chapter 14: Locus and Construction