About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Trigonometry Homeschool Curriculum course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about analytical geometry. There is no faster or easier way to learn about analytical geometry. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about conic sections, ellipses, hyperbolas and parabolas.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and an Analytical Geometry unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Analytical Geometry Unit Objectives:
- Write an equation for an ellipse, hyperbola and parabola in standard form.
- Graph an ellipses, hyperbola and parabola.
- Provide a definition of a circle.
- Identify a conic section.
- Understand how to use the distance formula.
1. Defining and Graphing Ellipses in Algebra
Watch this video lesson to find out what makes ellipses so unique. Learn what kind of shape an ellipse is, how you can create one yourself and how you can graph an ellipse by just looking at the numbers in the equation.
2. How to Write the Equation of an Ellipse in Standard Form
In algebra, we have equations that make our life so much easier. Some equations are able to tell us information without hard math. Watch this video lesson to see how the equation of an ellipse does this.
3. The Circle: Definition, Conic Sections & Distance Formula
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn what makes a circle a conic section. Also learn how to calculate the circumference of a circle. You will learn about the one important measurement that you need for any circle.
4. The Hyperbola: Definition, Vertices, Foci & Graphing
In this video lesson, we'll learn what a hyperbola is and how to graph one using the standard equation to find the center point, vertices and focus points.
5. How to Write the Equation of a Hyperbola in Standard Form
When it comes to equations in algebra, there is most always a standard form that provides us with useful information. Watch this video lesson to learn how to write the standard form equation of a hyperbola by using information about the hyperbola.
6. The Parabola: Definition & Graphing
Watch this video lesson to learn what a parabola is and how you can graph it. Find out how to extract useful information from the standard form equation of a parabola to help you graph it.
7. How to Write the Equation of a Parabola in Standard Form
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to write the equation of a parabola in standard form when given just two important points from the parabola. Learn what these two points are and how they relate to the parabola.
8. How to Identify a Conic Section by Its Formulas
In algebra, we have a formula for everything. Take a cone and slice it and we have a formula for the shape that results. Watch this video lesson to learn how to distinguish between these formulas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Types of Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Systems of Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Modeling: Homeschool Curriculum
- Introduction to Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Coordinate Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing with Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Difference Quotients: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponential Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Triangle Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Applications: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polar Coordinates: Homeschool Curriculum
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles: Homeschool Curriculum