About This Chapter
Analyzing & Evaluating Visual Images - Chapter Summary
Access this chapter to increase what you know about analyzing and evaluating visual images. Lessons cover how to use cross-media communication effectively, factors that affect the interpretation of visual images, how to manipulate images to convey meaning and more. Utilizing the lessons in this chapter will ensure you are able to:
- Detail how images can influence behavior and opinions
- Discuss how topics can be presented in different media or formats
- Explain how to construct meaning through non-print texts
- Describe the history of political cartoons
- Define rhetorical criticism
These lessons will help familiarize you with the vocabulary words associated with visual media. You'll also be able to gauge your understanding of the usages of images with our interactive quizzes.
1. Understanding Topics Presented in Different Media or Formats
Information can be presented in many ways, and it's important to understand all of them. In this lesson, we'll talk about several ways for information to be presented and see how they relate to each other.
2. Constructing & Conveying Meaning in Nonprint Texts
In this lesson, we will explore the important facets that go into constructing and reading nonprint texts. We will examine questions that trouble producers and readers alike when evaluating nonprint texts.
3. Using Cross-Media Communication Effectively
Marketers want their messaging to get noticed. This lesson explores the impact of cross-media communication and how to use it effectively in business.
4. Factors that Affect Interpretation of Visual Images
This lesson explores how pictures, paintings, and photographs communicate meaning. We will discover the principles of visual literacy and look at how we use our personal experience and knowledge when looking at visual images.
5. Manipulating Images to Convey Meaning
In this lesson you will learn how visual images are manipulated and selected for advertising campaigns. The lesson will include images such as symbols and shapes and also discuss the use of color, perspective, style, and content.
6. Using Images to Influence Behavior & Opinion
In this lesson, you will learn how companies design their advertisements to appeal to consumers' emotions and reason. You will also learn why companies use celebrity and authority figure endorsements as well as some additional tips for using images in advertising.
7. What are Political Cartoons? - History & Analysis
Political cartoons have a rich history that is as interesting as the cartoons are visually entertaining. In this lesson, you'll learn how political cartoons have shaped our past and continue to shape our society today, and how to analyze their messages.
8. What is Rhetorical Criticism? - Definition & Methods
How do people use words to persuade an audience? In this lesson, you will learn to analyze the art of persuasion, or rhetoric by exploring the definition and methods of rhetorical criticism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Middle Level English (CEOE) (124): Practice & Study Guide course
- Language Acquisition & Development in Children
- Participating in Conversations & Group Discussions
- Preparing & Delivering Effective Presentations
- The Writing Process
- Using Technology to Teach Reading & Writing
- Essay Writing Skills
- Identifying Errors in Writing
- Expository Writing Techniques
- Writing Argumentative Essays
- Writing for Personal Expression
- Developing Student Vocabulary
- Teaching & Improving Reading Comprehension
- Strategies for Reading Expository Texts
- Strategies for Analyzing Persuasive Texts
- Strategies for Reading Fiction & Drama
- Overview of American Literature
- World Literature Overview
- Influences on the Development of the English Language
- Selecting Appropriate Methods of Instruction
- Teaching Special Populations
- OSAT Middle Level English (CEOE) (024) Flashcards