About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering high school biology material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn biology. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding visual representations of scientific data
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about analyzing scientific data
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the scientific data chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the scientific data chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any scientific data question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a scientific data unit of a standard high school biology course. Topics covered include:
- Scientific charts
- Graphs of scientific data
- Scientific tables
- Scientific experiment design
1. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
2. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
3. Design a Scientific Experiment: Example of Avery and Griffith's Experiments
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists design their investigations? In this lesson, we'll use the work of Avery and Griffith to explore the process of experimental design.
4. What is Randomized Block Design?
Have you ever heard of a randomized block design? If not, you're in the right place! This lesson will explain what a randomized block design is and when one should use it. At the end of the lesson, you can check your understanding with a short quiz.
5. Creating Data Tables in Biology: Types & Examples
This lesson will introduce you to a few basic types of data tables used in biology. It contains several examples and provides the foundational knowledge for building both simple and complex data tables.
6. Gradualism: Definition, Theory & Examples
This lesson contains an investigation into evolution via gradualism. Go over examples of the process in action, reasons for its occurrence, geologic references, key terms, and a brief quiz at the end.
7. Chemical Reaction Definition in Biology
In this lesson, we'll go over what a chemical reaction is and discuss some key examples in biology. By the time we're through, you will know why chemical reactions are important for living things.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Biology: Help and Review course
- Core Science Concepts: Help and Review
- Basic Science Lab Skills: Help and Review
- Basics of Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry Review for High School Biology: Help and Review
- Basic Organic Chemistry: Help and Review
- How Enzymes Work: Help and Review
- Essentials of Cell Biology: Help and Review
- Requirements of Biological Systems: Help and Review
- Cell Communication: Help and Review
- Cell Metabolism: Help and Review
- Cell Division in Biology: Help and Review
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA - in Biology: Help and Review
- The Steps of DNA Replication: Help and Review
- Transcription and Translation of Nucleic Acids: Help and Review
- Genetics and Heredity in Biology: Help and Review
- Genetic Mutations in Biology: Help and Review
- DNA Technology and Genomics: Help and Review
- Bacterial Biology Essentials: Help and Review
- Viruses in Biology: Help and Review
- The Origin of the Universe and Life on Earth: Help and Review
- Geologic Time, Dating & Fossils: Help and Review
- Evolution Basics: Help and Review
- The Evolution & Classification of Organisms: Help and Review
- Basics of Plant Biology: Help and Review
- Plant Reproduction & Growth Cycles: Help and Review
- Introduction to Fungi: Help and Review
- Introduction to Invertebrates: Help and Review
- Introduction to Vertebrates: Help and Review
- Circulatory System & Other Systems: Help & Review
- The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Help and Review
- Animal Reproduction & Embryonic Development: Help and Review
- Human Reproductive Systems: Help and Review
- Ecology and the Environment: Help and Review
- Human Effects on the Environment: Help and Review
- Animal Behavior: Help and Review
- Laboratory Techniques for Molecular Biology & Genetic Engineering: Help and Review