About This Chapter
Analyzing Words in Context while Reading - Chapter Summary
Through this online Analyzing Words in Context while Reading chapter, you'll come to understand more about the meaning and applications of context as well as the process of determining word meanings. After completing this chapter, you'll be familiar with the following topics:
- Significance of word choice
- Importance of context
- Ways to figure out the writer's tone
- How to increase vocabulary
- Different ways to determine the meaning of words
- How to construct meaning
- Difference between connotation and denotation
We know you may have a busy schedule and a lot of responsibilities. That is why all of our lessons are short and to the point. They are taught by highly knowledgeable instructors, so the lessons are information-packed. Our video lessons come with a timeline feature that allows you to jump around to areas you need to concentrate on more. Our text lessons are filled with bolded terms and phrases that emphasize the material you should be focusing on.
1. How to Interpret the Word Choice of a Writer
Authors never pick the words in their works by accident. In this lesson, we'll explore the ways that authors use words and see how this impacts our understanding of their work.
2. What is Context? - Definition & Application
In writing, context is the information surrounding the information. Without context, information can be misinterpreted; with context, information can be understood.
3. How to Determine the Writer's Tone and Point-of-View
Writers give us many clues to help us understand why they write. In this lesson, we're going to check out the concepts of tone and point of view to see how they can be used to better understand a passage.
4. How to Strengthen Your Vocabulary
Feeling that your personal lexicon is lacking? Or perhaps want to be able to manipulate polysyllabic lexemes with great facility? Or you just want to pass the SAT with a higher score - in any event, this lesson is for you.
5. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
6. Constructing Meaning with Context Clues, Prior Knowledge & Word Structure
In this lesson, you will learn how readers use prior knowledge, context clues and word structure to aid their understanding of what they read. Explore these strategies through examples from literature and everyday life.
7. What Are Connotation and Denotation? - Definitions & Examples
Discover the difference between a word's denotation and its connotation in this lesson. Explore how authors use both denotation and connotation to add layers of meaning to their work with some literary examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- PSAT: About the Test
- PSAT Writing: About the Writing & Language Test
- PSAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- PSAT Writing Usage & Punctuation
- Word Use & Expressions in Writing
- Argument & Evidence Analysis in Writing
- About the PSAT Reading Test
- PSAT Reading: Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Interpretation & Analysis of Text
- Analyzing Data & Graphs in a Reading Passage
- PSAT Reading: Literary Terms
- Important U.S. Documents & Speeches
- PSAT Math: About the Math Test
- PSAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- PSAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- PSAT Math: Exponents
- PSAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Inequalities
- PSAT Math: Functions
- PSAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- PSAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- PSAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- PSAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability