About This Chapter
Ancient Civilizations for Elementary School
If you're looking for a fun, yet informative, way to help your child to learn about ancient civilizations, then you've come to the right place. We have engaging video lessons and quizzes so that learning about ancient civilizations is fun for your child, and they'll learn everything they need to know about the topic in the process. The self-assessment quizzes especially will give you some crucial insight into what ancient civilization topics your child is struggling with.
Who's It For
Kids who need extra help with ancient civilizations will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about ancient civilizations.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding ancient civilization topics in social studies
- Students with learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about ancient civilizations
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning social studies (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about ancient civilizations
- Students who struggle to understand their social studies teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra social studies resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover ancient civilizations topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson with your student.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning about ancient civilizations
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands ancient civilizations by completing the Ancient Civilizations for Elementary School chapter exam.
1. Ancient China Lesson for Kids: History & Timeline
The history of China dates back longer than any other country, spanning thousands of years. Learn about the events in ancient Chinese history in this lesson.
2. Ancient Egypt's Religion: Lesson for Kids
Ancient Egyptians believed in life after death. This lesson explores religious rituals to prepare someone for afterlife, like turning a person into a mummy. It also discusses some Egyptian gods.
3. Ancient Egypt's Mummies: Lesson for Kids
Thousands of years ago, the ancient Egyptians mummified their dead. Read more about this powerful and magnificent culture that made its mark on history. Find out about more about mummies by reading this lesson.
4. Ancient Egypt's Pharaohs: Lesson for Kids
Sometimes leaders of countries are called presidents, kings or queens. In the case of ancient Egypt, they were called pharaohs. Learn about what a pharaoh is, as well as some of the most famous pharaohs of all time.
5. Gods of Ancient Egypt: Lesson for Kids
The people of Ancient Egypt worshiped many gods as part of their religion. In this article, you will learn about the beliefs the Egyptian citizens had about their gods as well as specific gods that were important to the people of Ancient Egypt.
6. Ancient Egypt's Economy: Lesson for Kids
Ancient Egypt was the land of pharaohs and pyramids, and also a land without money! Well, at least not the kind of money we use today. In this lesson find out how ancient Egypt's economy thrived.
7. Ancient Egypt's Government: Lesson for Kids
Ancient Egypt was the longest lasting and most stable civilization in world history. At the center of that stability were the pharaohs, Ancient Egyptian kings who ruled as gods, and the other officials who helped them rule and build the amazing monuments that we can still see today.
8. Ancient Egypt's Daily Life: Lesson for Kids
You might know what the life of a pharaoh was like, but do you know how most ancient Egyptians lived? Let's explore a little about how common ancient Egyptians lived.
9. Ancient Greek Olympics: Lesson for Kids
The ancient Olympics were established over 2,000 years before the modern Olympics but contained many of the same events, including races and feats of strength. Learn about the development of the Olympics by the ancient Greeks.
10. Ancient Greek Government: Lesson for Kids
In this history lesson, we'll learn about ancient Greek governments and how they created their political structures. Check out this lesson now to learn more about governments of ancient Greece.
11. Aztec Culture: Lesson for Kids
Aztec civilization flourished in central Mexico more than 500 years ago, building the largest empire in North American history. Learn about their culture, religion, politics, sports, and cities in this lesson.
12. Aztec Religion: Lesson for Kids
The Aztec Empire grew to cover most of modern-day Mexico. One of its greatest legacies is the religious belief that the gods required human sacrifices. Learn about why Aztecs practiced these rituals and what gods they prayed to in this lesson.
13. The Ten Plagues of Egypt: Lesson for Kids
Imagine the pyramids in Egypt. In ancient times Israelites, or the people of Israel, were slaves to Egypt. The biblical story of Israel being freed from approximately 400 years of slavery tells of ten amazing miracles. Learn about the story in this lesson.
14. Ancient Israel: Lesson for Kids
One of the oldest civilizations known to man, ancient Israel traces its history back over four thousand years. Learn about the culture, beliefs, and achievements of the society that developed the Jewish faith.
15. The Inca's Religion: Lesson for Kids
The ancient Incan Empire ruled over the Andes Mountains of South America for centuries, creating beautiful works of art and architecture that survive to this day. This lesson will explain the Inca concepts of gods, rituals, sacrifices, and the world about them.
16. Ancient Africa Lesson for Kids
Societies and cultures in Africa stretch back thousands and thousands of years. Learn about some of the great kingdoms and peoples who lived in ancient Africa in this lesson.
17. Olmec Civilization Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, we'll learn about the great Olmec civilization of Mexico. They were very advanced and had rulers, villages, religion, and written language.
18. Mayan Calendar Lesson for Kids
This lesson will introduce you to the incredible Maya calendars that helped an ancient civilization track time. You will learn why the calendars were important to the Mayas and how they were used.
19. Anasazi Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
The Anasazi people lived between 100-1600 AD in the American South West. They are known for their cliff dwellings, which can still be seen in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona.
20. Ancient Egypt Facts: Lesson for Kids
Why were the children of ancient Egypt so confused? Because their fathers were mummies! When you think of ancient Egypt you probably think of wrapped bodies, but there is more to know and this lesson will teach you the basics of ancient Egypt.
21. Ancient Greece Facts: Lesson for Kids
The ancient Greeks created many concepts of culture that we continue to use today, ranging from politics to arts to sports. Learn about how they became a powerful society over two thousand years ago.
22. Athena Facts: Lesson for Kids
Let's learn about one of the most important goddesses in Ancient Greek mythology. Today's lesson will be all about Athena and why she was important to Athens, Greece.
23. Aztecs Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
The Aztecs were people who lived in Mexico long ago. Learn about the great city they built in the middle of a lake, their warriors, their religion, how they farmed food in water, and more interesting facts about this ancient group of people!
24. Egyptian History: Lesson for Kids
The history of Egypt includes the longest surviving civilization in history. In this lesson, explore the land of the Nile River, ancient pharaohs, and amazing architecture!
25. Goddesses of Ancient Egypt: Lesson for Kids
Ancient Egypt was a civilization in Africa that worshiped many gods and goddesses. This lesson will teach you about some of the goddesses ancient Egyptians worshiped and the role they play in ancient Egyptian myths.
26. Greek God Poseidon Facts: Lesson for Kids
Let's read about a very important god to the Ancient Greeks. This very important god was the god of the ocean, Poseidon. We will learn about what he did, why he was important, and some of his symbols.
27. History of Ancient Egypt: Lesson for Kids
What's more than 3,000 years long and rises out of the African desert? It's the history of ancient Egypt! Few civilizations in world history can boast a history so long and grand that it influences our lives today. Keep reading to learn more.
28. History of Ancient Greece: Lesson for Kids
Ancient Greece, the time from around 800 B.C. to 500 B.C., was a period of history known for amazing achievements in the arts and learning. This lesson will give you an overview of ancient Greek life and some of the Greek's most notable accomplishments.
29. Maya Civilization Facts: Lesson for Kids
The Maya people built one of the first major civilizations in Central America. Learn about the mystery surrounding the end of their great civilization, as well as what we know from the written language, calendar and math they left behind.
30. Zeus Facts: Lesson for Kids
How would you like to have superpowers and be in charge of all other people with superpowers? That's what it was like for Zeus, king of the Greek gods. Keep reading to learn more about this super powered leader.
31. Zeus's Family Tree: Lesson for Kids
In Greek mythology, Zeus is known as the king of the gods. Not only did he come from a long line of gods and goddesses, but he also fathered many children who became gods and goddesses. Let's take a look at his family tree.
32. Civilization Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn how civilizations began and grew, as well as the different aspects that make them unique, including leaders, laws, money, and work.
33. Ancient India Lesson for Kids: Facts & Geography
In this lesson we will explore the geography of ancient India while learning fascinating facts about this diverse country. Learn about ancient cities, rivers and even the oldest school of medicine!
34. Aphrodite Lesson for Kids: Myths & Facts
Let's learn about Aphrodite, the ancient Greek goddess of love and beauty. We will learn about what she was like, her favorite people and what made her special as a goddess. You will also learn about some of her symbols, like swans and apples!
35. Medusa Lesson for Kids: Story & Facts
Just as in some of our favorite action stories, not all characters in Greek myths were good or nice. Let's learn about an important bad guy in Greek mythology, Medusa.
36. Mesopotamia Lesson for Kids: Facts & Geography
Learn about the history of Mesopotamia, a region of land between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers in the Middle East. Discover its rise and fall of power and its contributions to society today.
37. Mummy Facts: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever dressed up as a mummy for Halloween? Have you seen mummies in movies or cartoons? Mummies were actually real and were created by the ancient Egyptians! This lesson will explore what mummies are and how they were made.
38. Sphinx Facts: Lesson for Kids
With the head of a man and the body of a lion, the Egyptian sphinx is a manmade sculpture at the foot of the famous Egyptian pyramids in Giza. Read on to learn more about this mysterious marvel.
39. Stone Age Facts: Lesson for Kids
The Stone Age was about 700,000 years ago. The Stone Age is a time in which some of the first humans began to use tools. It is called the Stone Age, because that is what the tools were made of.
40. Stone Age Timeline: Lesson for Kids
The study of history covers millions of years, from the formation of the Earth, to the evolution of humans, and to even what happened just yesterday. This lesson will look at human evolution in the prehistoric times known as the Stone Age.
41. Vikings Lesson for Kids: Facts & History
We think of Vikings as the angry warriors of legend. Famed for burning villages and killing the residents, these people have a reputation for violence. But while the Vikings did invade and conquer, there are probably a lot of things about the Vikings you don't know.
42. Early Humans: Lesson for Kids
The history of humans dates back millions of years into the past, back before humans could use language or tools or even make a fire. Learn about early humans in this lesson.
43. Ancient Japan Lesson for Kids: Facts & Timeline
The foundation of Japan over 1000 years ago paved the way for government, language, culture, and art that we think of as uniquely Japanese. Learn about ancient Japan and its legacy today in this lesson.
44. Ancient Greek Temples Lesson for Kids
The ancient Greeks constructed massive temples to worship their gods and practice their religion. These temples could have other uses, however, including storing treasure. Learn about the different types and functions of Greek temples in this lesson.
45. Caesar's Civil War Lesson for Kids
Julius Caesar launched a civil war in ancient Rome in order to take control of the government as the most powerful leader. Learn about the origins of this fighting and how it changed the Roman Republic in this lesson.
46. Julius Caesar & Cleopatra Lesson for Kids
Throughout history, individual people have constantly shaped the world's events. Sometimes, however, the relationships between people have done the same thing. In this lesson, you will learn about the relationship of Julius Caesar and Cleopatra.
47. Antony & Cleopatra Lesson for Kids
Learn about Cleopatra, the famous queen of Egypt, and Mark Antony, the Roman military leader. Antony and Cleopatra fought against another Roman leader named Octavian, but were defeated at the Battle of Actium.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Social Studies for Kids course
- Civics & Government for Elementary School
- Early United States History for Elementary School
- Geography for Elementary School
- Famous People for Elementary School
- Colonial America for Elementary School
- Native American History for Elementary School
- Famous Americans for Elementary School
- Inventions Lessons for Elementary School
- European History for Elementary School
- World Conflicts for Elementary School
- Economics for Elementary School
- 20th Century World History for Elementary School
- The Revolutionary War for Elementary School
- Civil War Lessons for Elementary School
- Post-Civil War for Elementary School
- 20th Century American History for Elementary School
- Roman History for Elementary School
- US States for Elementary School
- Countries of the World for Elementary School
- Famous World Landmarks for Elementary School
- Roman Culture for Kids
- Roman Leaders for Kids
- Castle History for Elementary School
- History of Christianity for Kids
- Civil Rights Activists for Elementary School