About This Chapter
1. The Fertile Crescent: Cradle of Civilization
Complex civilization wasn't always the norm. In this lesson, we are going to check out the origins of civilization as we know it, and see where, when, and how this new system of living first began.
2. Mesopotamia: Culture, Facts & History
Ancient Mesopotamia, a region located in modern day Iraq, was a rich and diverse culture. In this lesson we will explore some of the major events and most interesting facts about Ancient Mesopotamia.
3. Egyptian Pharaohs: History, Facts & Timeline
Learn about Ancient Egyptian society and the pharaohs. Explore the world of famous pharaohs such as King Menes, King Akhenaten, King Tutankhamen, and Queen Hatshepsut.
4. Early Civilizations in Africa South of the Sahara
In this lesson, you will explore and learn about several large empires and civilizations in Africa, just south of the Sahara Desert. In particular, you will learn about Aksum, the Kongo, and Zimbabwe.
5. Ancient India: Indigenous Culture & Outside Influences
This lesson will explore the history of ancient India. It will focus on the Harappan culture, their mixing with the Aryans, and the beginnings of the Hindu faith.
6. Ancient China: Shang & Zhou Dynasties
In this lesson, we will study the Shang and Zhou Dynasties. We will pay close attention to the founding, major accomplishments and characteristics, and decline of these dynasties.
7. How Geography Isolated Ancient China
Unlike many other ancient cultures, China was effectively isolated from many other early civilizations. Geography played a huge role in this isolation - this lesson will help you learn how.
8. Ancient Asian Art & Architecture
Domed stone monuments and wood timber structures. Small bronze figurines and delicate pottery. What do these things have in common? You'll find out in this lesson, as we explore ancient Asian art and architecture.
9. Nontheism: Hinduism, Buddhism & Confucianism
Not all religions focus on the belief (or disbelief) in a particular deity. In this lesson, we define nontheism and discuss the ideologies of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Confucianism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES History 7-12 (233): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES History 7-12 Exam
- Foundations of Historical Inquiry
- Interpreting & Communicating Historical Information
- Teaching & Instruction Strategies for the History Classroom
- TEKS & the History Classroom
- Developments in World History
- Classical Empires, Dynasties & Civilizations
- The Fall of Rome & Rise of Western Religions
- Early Middle Ages Overview
- The Middle Ages in Africa & Asia
- Overview of the Medieval Warm Period
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- Early American Civilizations
- The Reformation Across Europe
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Overview of Colonialism
- World Empires & Dynasties
- European Absolutism & Constitutionalism (1648-1715)
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- The Age of Enlightenment
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Bonaparte & the French Revolution
- Economic & Scientific Advancements of the Industrial Revolution
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- Overview of World War I
- History Between World Wars
- Overview of World War II
- Western Civilization Post-1945
- Imperialism Throughout the World
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The US Constitution & The First Presidents
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- American Imperialism & World War I
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- The United States in the Cold War
- Mid-20th Century Civil Rights & Protests in the U.S.
- America in the 1970s
- Post-1980 America
- Native American Tribes in Texas
- Spanish Colonial & Mexican National Era
- Texas Revolution, Expansion & the Civil War
- Major Events & Trends in Texas History
- TExES History 7-12 Flashcards