About This Chapter
Ancient Civilizations in Asia & Africa - Chapter Summary
You can study classic ancient civilizations in Asia and Africa throughout this chapter. Information about the Fertile Crescent, Mesopotamia, Egyptian pharaohs, and civilizations south of the Sahara will be covered. You'll also be able to increase what you know about ancient India. After reading through these lessons, you should feel confident in your ability to:
- Recall facts about the Fertile Crescent
- Discuss the history of Mesopotamia
- Identify famous Egyptian pharaohs
- Describe details about early civilizations in Africa south of the Sahara
- Explain how outside influences affected ancient India
Our engaging lessons cover details about the most significant ancient civilizations in Asia and Africa. Our expert instructors make learning fun with brief, yet engaging, lessons. Additionally, key terms and historical details are highlighted to make studying simple. You can ensure you're absorbing the material by taking our self-assessment quizzes after each lesson.
1. The Fertile Crescent: Cradle of Civilization
The dawn of civilization began with the discovery and implementation of agriculture in an area referred to as the Fertile Crescent, a stretch of land between the Persian Gulf to the Mediterranean. In this lesson, learn about how the humble beginnings of civilization in Mesopotamia grew from simple agriculture to complex hierarchical civilizations with the availability of surplus food, which allowed many humans to convert from a nomadic lifestyle to a sedentary one.
2. Mesopotamia: Culture, Facts & History
Mesopotamia, historically known as the 'Cradle of Civilization,' is located between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, which includes parts of modern Iraq, Turkey, and Syria. Explore the region of Mesopotamia, the important cultural influences and historical facts of the people who've lived there, and discover the ancient city of Uruk.
3. Egyptian Pharaohs: History, Facts & Timeline
The Egyptian Pharaohs were the kings of Egypt and were the focal point of the Ancient Egyptian religion. Explore the history of Pharaohs in the Old and New Kingdom, facts about these pharaohs, and a brief timeline of the age of the Egyptian pharaoh.
4. Early Civilizations in Africa South of the Sahara
In this lesson, you will explore and learn about several large empires and civilizations in Africa, just south of the Sahara Desert. In particular, you will learn about Aksum, the Kongo, and Zimbabwe.
5. Ancient India: Indigenous Culture & Outside Influences
This lesson will explore the history of ancient India. It will focus on the Harappan culture, their mixing with the Aryans, and the beginnings of the Hindu faith.
6. Ancient China: Shang & Zhou Dynasties
In this lesson, we will study the Shang and Zhou Dynasties. We will pay close attention to the founding, major accomplishments and characteristics, and decline of these dynasties.
7. How Geography Isolated Ancient China
Unlike many other ancient cultures, China was effectively isolated from many other early civilizations. Geography played a huge role in this isolation - this lesson will help you learn how.
8. Ancient Asian Art & Architecture
Domed stone monuments and wood timber structures. Small bronze figurines and delicate pottery. What do these things have in common? You'll find out in this lesson, as we explore ancient Asian art and architecture.
9. Nontheism: Hinduism, Buddhism & Confucianism
Nontheism pertains to the lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. Explore examples and underlying principles of some nontheistic religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Confucianism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the TExES History 7-12 (233): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES History 7-12 Exam
- Foundations of Historical Inquiry
- Interpreting & Communicating Historical Information
- Teaching & Instruction Strategies for the History Classroom
- TEKS & the History Classroom
- Developments in World History
- Classical Empires, Dynasties & Civilizations
- The Fall of Rome & Rise of Western Religions
- Early Middle Ages Overview
- The Middle Ages in Africa & Asia
- Overview of the Medieval Warm Period
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- Early American Civilizations
- The Reformation Across Europe
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Overview of Colonialism
- World Empires & Dynasties
- European Absolutism & Constitutionalism (1648-1715)
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- The Age of Enlightenment
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Bonaparte & the French Revolution
- Economic & Scientific Advancements of the Industrial Revolution
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- Overview of World War I
- History Between World Wars
- Overview of World War II
- Western Civilization Post-1945
- Imperialism Throughout the World
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The US Constitution & The First Presidents
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- American Imperialism & World War I
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- The United States in the Cold War
- Mid-20th Century Civil Rights & Protests in the U.S.
- America in the 1970s
- Post-1980 America
- Native American Tribes in Texas
- Spanish Colonial & Mexican National Era
- Texas Revolution, Expansion & the Civil War
- Major Events & Trends in Texas History
- TExES History 7-12 Flashcards