About This Chapter
Ancient Egyptian Art - Chapter Summary
This chapter can help you get up to speed on ancient Egyptian art. Our expertly-taught lessons explore the hieroglyphics system, realism in relief carvings, and the use of papyrus. The chapter also delves into the various styles of ancient Egyptian architecture during the old, middle, and new kingdoms. Funerary beliefs are also covered in this chapter. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe what the temples in Ancient Egypt represented
- Understand the significance of the Amarna period in Egyptian art
- Share why the Pharaohs had such an avid interest in art
- Describe how the Rosetta Stone helped us understand Egyptian art
- Explain what the post-and-lintel system of Egyptian architecture is
- Discuss the history and style of Ancient Egyptian art
- Understand the importance of the pyramids and their relationship to cosmology
The chapter contains video lessons that you can move through at your own pace. The lessons are also transcribed for those who prefer a text-based study option. The videos include timeline tags so you can quickly jump to key concepts.
1. Ancient Egyptian Art: History and Style
This lesson provides a brief look at the exquisite art of the Ancient Egyptians. Egyptian art contains images of people and deities that represent the culture in which they lived.
2. Ancient Egyptian Architecture: History, Characteristics & Influences
This lesson explores the architectural wonders of ancient Egypt. Some of these structures include temples, pyramids and monumental statues constructed long ago and surviving into modern times.
3. Ancient Egyptian Buildings: Old, Middle & New Kingdoms
In this lesson, you will explore the architectural styles of the three most powerful periods of Ancient Egypt. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Ancient Egyptian Art & Architecture's Relationship to Their Cosmology & Rulers
In this lesson, you will explore Egyptian cosmology and discover the links between their religion, pharaoh, art, and architecture. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Funerary Beliefs, Practices & Temples in Ancient Egypt
In this lesson, you will explore the religious and funerary practices of the ancient Egyptians and discover how their architecture was influenced by these beliefs. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. Amarna Period: Definition & Art
In this lesson, you'll read about Egypt's Amarna Period, during which the pharaoh, Akhenaten, made revolutionary changes to Egyptian religion, art, and society, including moving the capital to a new city, Akhetaten (near the modern town of Amarna).
7. The Pharaohs as Patrons of the Arts
In this lesson, you will discover how the pharaohs of ancient Egypt used their power and wealth to become great patrons of the arts. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
8. Egyptian Pyramids: Definition, Facts & Structure
In this lesson, we will discuss the construction of the Egyptian pyramids. Learn about the evolution of pyramids from underground tombs to the true pyramid form.
9. The Post-and-Lintel System of Egyptian Architecture
In this lesson, you'll explore how the ancient Egyptians used one of the basic forms of architecture to create new buildings on a massive scale. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
10. Use of Realism in Ancient Egyptian Relief Carvings & Paintings
In this lesson, you will explore when and why ancient Egyptian artists chose to create reliefs and paintings that embraced or challenged realistic appearances. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
11. Egyptian Hieroglyphs: Definition, Meaning & Symbols
The Egyptian language, written in hieroglyphs, is fascinating. In this lesson we'll learn about the history and evolution of the language, about the writing system and how it works, and when and how the language was deciphered.
12. Ancient Egyptian Papyrus: Paintings & Scrolls
In this lesson we explore ancient Egyptian papyrus. One of the oldest writing mediums ever used, papyrus was highly prized in ancient Egyptian culture and its manufacture a closely guarded state secret.
13. The Rosetta Stone's Role in Understanding Egyptian Art
In this lesson, you will discover the reason that the Rosetta Stone was such an important discovery and examine how it influenced an understanding of Egyptian art. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Art History: Exam Prep course
- Introduction to Art
- Prehistoric Art
- Ancient Near East Art
- Ancient Greek Art
- Ancient Roman Art
- Early Christian Art
- Art of the Byzantine Empire
- Medieval Art
- Romanesque Style of Art
- Gothic Art
- Fifteenth-Century Art
- Sixteenth-Century Art
- Art of the Baroque Period
- Rococo Art
- Neoclassical Art
- Art of the Romantic Period
- Impressionist Art
- Post-Impressionism in Art
- Early Twentieth-Century Art
- Postwar to Postmodern Art
- Global Contemporary Art
- Asian Art
- Art of the Pacific
- Art of Indigenous Americas
- African Art
- AP Art History Flashcards