About This Chapter
Ancient Greek Art - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our experts explain the evolution of ancient Greek art. You'll learn about the history of Minoan art, the influence of politics on art, and various types of pottery. Our experienced instructors ease you into studying various developments of art in the Classic and Hellenistic periods through quick, engaging videos. Once you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the history and evolution of ancient Greek art, pottery, and sculpture
- Articulate the influence of politics in Greek art
- Analyze the history of Minoan art
- Describe the various types of ancient Greek pottery
- Understand the different types of art from ancient Greece's Classical period
- Analyze the Hellenistic, Geometric, and Archaic periods and its history of ancient Greek art
- Discuss the lost-wax casting technique
- Explain the creation of the Parthenon and its artistic importance
Help from an expert is just a few clicks away on the Dashboard if you struggle to understand any of these concepts. It's easy to navigate our videos using the timeline tags if you'd like to go back and review any of the material again. Take the quiz included with each lesson and the test at the end of the chapter to evaluate your knowledge.
1. Ancient Greek Art, Pottery and Sculpture
A survey of the transitions in Greek art, with special emphasis placed on the importance of materials and technique. This lecture explores Greek pottery styles from geometric to Orientalizing to black- and red-figure vases. It then turns to sculpture from Archaic styles to realism to idealism. Slides are shown throughout to get students familiar with these Greek styles.
2. The Evolution of Art in Ancient Greece
In this lesson, you will explore the evolution of art across several periods of Ancient Greek history. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz on painting, sculpture, and architecture.
3. Minoan Art: History & Images
In this lesson, we'll explore various types of artwork created by the Minoans. Minoans were early Greeks who created vivid images in their artwork, which became a popular export to surrounding areas.
4. Greek Art of the Geometric & Archaic Periods
In this lesson, you will explore two artistic periods in Greek art that saw the foundations of Greek styles emerge. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. How Politics Influenced Greek Art & Culture
In this lesson, you will explore the relationship between politics and art in Ancient Greece and discover how each fueled the other. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. Ancient Greek Pottery: Types, History & Facts
Have you ever wondered how the ancient Greeks made pottery and why they had so many different types? In this lesson, we'll discuss the history of ancient Greek pottery and learn how to identify the different styles of vessels.
7. Art of Ancient Greece's Classical Period
In this lesson, you will explore the artistic achievements of the Greek classical period and discover how these changes affected Western art. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
8. Historical & Artistic Developments of Greece's Hellenistic Period
In this lesson, you will explore the cultural and artistic changes of the Hellenistic Period, the last major era of Ancient Greece. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
9. The Lost-Wax Casting Technique in Antiquity
In this lesson, you will discover the secrets behind the lost-wax casting technique used to create ancient sculpture. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
10. The Parthenon
In this lesson, you will explore the architectural and artistic design of the great Athenian temple called the Parthenon. Then, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Art History: Exam Prep course
- Introduction to Art
- Prehistoric Art
- Ancient Egyptian Art
- Ancient Near East Art
- Ancient Roman Art
- Early Christian Art
- Art of the Byzantine Empire
- Medieval Art
- Romanesque Style of Art
- Gothic Art
- Fifteenth-Century Art
- Sixteenth-Century Art
- Art of the Baroque Period
- Rococo Art
- Neoclassical Art
- Art of the Romantic Period
- Impressionist Art
- Post-Impressionism in Art
- Early Twentieth-Century Art
- Postwar to Postmodern Art
- Global Contemporary Art
- Asian Art
- Art of the Pacific
- Art of Indigenous Americas
- African Art
- AP Art History Flashcards