About This Chapter
Ancient Greek Views on Ethics - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The ancient Greeks had a profound impact on the philosophical study of ethics. This chapter examines different ethical systems and influential philosophers of ancient Greece. Use the multiple-choice lesson quizzes to assess your grasp of the covered concepts. If you have trouble with a topic, feel free to contact an instructor with any questions. The video lessons will teach you the answers to questions like:
- What did Plato discuss in Euthyphro?
- How did Thucydides view ethics?
- What did Aristotle believe according to Nicomachean Ethics?
- Who was Socrates?
|Socrates: Life, Death and Philosophy||Learn about the life and belief system of Socrates.|
|Euthyphro & Plato's Beliefs on Ethics||Discuss Plato's beliefs on ethics and examine his work 'Euthyphro.'|
|Schools of Philosophy in Antiquity: Cynics, Epicureans & Stoics||Differentiate between three schools of philosophy in antiquity.|
|Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics: Summary & Analysis||Study 'Nicomachean Ethics' by Aristotle and take a look at his beliefs on ethics, personal morality and the ends of human life.|
|Thucydides' Views on Ethics & Political Realism||Get to know Thucydides and learn why he is called the 'Father of Political Realism.'|
1. Socrates: Life, Death and Philosophy
This lecture is a whirlwind tour through the life of Socrates. It begins with an explanation of the Socratic problem, followed by an examination of his philosophy. The lecture ends with a summary of Socrates' legacy.
2. Schools of Philosophy in Antiquity: Cynics, Epicureans & Stoics
In this lesson, we will study three schools of philosophy in antiquity: the Cynics, the Epicureans, and the Stoics. We will discuss the founder of each school, as well as its major characteristics.
3. Euthyphro & Plato's Beliefs on Ethics
Learn about virtue ethics and Plato's beliefs on how to achieve human well-being in this lesson. We'll use his text 'Euthyphro' as an example of his interest in virtue and piety.
4. Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics: Summary & Analysis
In this lesson, you'll develop an understanding of Aristotle, including his view of moral responsibility and ethics. You'll also better understand what he thought was the purpose of human life.
5. Thucydides' Views on Ethics & Political Realism
Who was Thucydides? How do you even pronounce that name? And what made his views of ethics and politics so important? Explore the life and theories of Thucydides, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Humanities: Help and Review course
- Literary Terms & Techniques: Help and Review
- Literary Time Periods: Help and Review
- Literature of the Middle Ages: Help and Review
- The English Renaissance: Help and Review
- Literature of the Victorian Era: Help and Review
- British Romanticism: Help and Review
- British Literature of the 20th Century: Help and Review
- Literary Modernism: Help and Review
- Romantic Poetry: Help and Review
- World Literature - Drama: Help and Review
- Poetry of the Ancient and Modern Worlds: Help and Review
- Prominent American Novelists: Help and Review
- Philosophy and Nonfiction: Help and Review
- History of Visual Art: Help and Review
- History of Architecture: Help and Review
- Basic Elements of Music: Help and Review
- Overview of Opera and Orchestral Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Medieval Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Renaissance Music: Help and Review
- Intro to the Baroque Period in Music: Help and Review
- Music's Classical Period: Help and Review
- Music's Romantic Period: Help and Review
- Music of the Modern Era: Help and Review
- Overview of Jazz Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Musical Theater and Popular Music: Help and Review
- Intro to World Music: Help and Review
- Introduction to the Performing Arts: Help and Review
- Introduction to Morality
- Moral Belief Systems
- Theories of Natural & Moral Law
- Consequentialist & Non-Consequentialist Philosophies
- Morality Within Western Religion
- Issues of Morality in Life & Death
- Moral Issues in Economic Equality & Poverty
- Philosophical Theory & the Justice System
- Moral Issues in Peacetime & War
- Human Rights Ethics
- Moral Issues in Relationships & Sexuality
- Biomedical Ethics
- Morality in Business
- Environmental Ethics