About This Chapter
Ancient India - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter cover ancient India and the many influences that shaped it. Study the indigenous culture in ancient India as well as the edicts of the Mauryan Empire and the leaders of the Gupta dynasty. After completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- Detail the outside influences affecting Ancient India
- Identify the rulers of the Mauryan Empire in India
- Outline the connection between the Gupta dynasty and Arabic numerals
- Discuss the history and culture of the Persian Empire
The short, engaging video lessons and corresponding self-assessment quizzes can help you fully understand and retain the information presented. Knowledgeable instructors are available to answer your questions, and you can revisit key points in the video lessons using the video tags to jump to different topics.
1. Ancient India: Indigenous Culture & Outside Influences
This lesson will explore the history of ancient India. It will focus on the Harappan culture, their mixing with the Aryans, and the beginnings of the Hindu faith.
2. The Mauryan Empire in India: Rulers & Edicts
In this lesson, we will study India's Mauryan Empire. We will learn about its rulers, explore its government and economy, delve into its religious life, and examine its decline and disappearance.
3. The Gupta Dynasty in India: Leaders & Arabic Numerals
In this lesson, we will explore India's Gupta dynasty. We will learn about its founding and expansion, discover the achievements of its people, and examine its decline and disappearance.
4. Persian Empire: History, Culture & Timeline
The Persian Empire was one of the first major empires in the ancient world. Meet major leaders and explore the history and culture of the Persian Empire in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis World & U.S. History - Content Knowledge (5941): Practice & Study Guide course
- Geographic and Environmental History
- Early Civilizations & The Ancient Near East
- Early River-Valley Civilizations
- Early American Civilizations
- Hellenism, Athens & Ancient Greece
- The Rise & Fall of Rome
- Ancient China
- The Development of the Hindu, Buddhist, Confucian, & Judeo-Christian Faiths
- The Emergence of Interregional Networks
- The Renaissance & The Age of Exploration
- The Age of Enlightenment & Industrialization
- Martin Luther & The Protestant Reformation in Europe
- North America & the 13 Colonies
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution & The Second Great Awakening
- Building the United States After the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty & Jacksonian America
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & the American Civil War
- Reconstruction, Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization
- Progressive Politics & American Imperialism
- Fundamental Overview of World War I
- 1920's America and the Great Depression
- Introduction to World War II
- Post-WWII World Cultures & Politics (1946-1959)
- Western Civilization from 1945-1973
- Important Events in the US (1954-1980)
- Imperialism & International Relations in the 19th & 20th Centuries
- International Organizations in the 20th Century
- Historical Thinking Skills
- Praxis World and U.S. History: Content Knowledge Flashcards