About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other 10th grade English work.
- Identify the ancient literature concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our 10th grade English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about ancient literature and earn better grades. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding The Illiad and The Odyssey, Greek religion, the Bible's literary influence or any other ancient literature topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their ancient literature unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in 10th grade English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about ancient literature simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn ancient literature on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss, The Epic of Gilgamesh.
- Read and analyze the Greek epics, The Iliad and The Odyssey.
- Understand the plot in the myth, Jason and the Argonauts.
- Learn about Greek myth and religion.
- Provide examples of literature that have used the Bible as an influence.
1. The Epic of Gilgamesh
Witness the Epic of Gilgamesh, a story of adventure, love and friendship. This long poem will help us examine the hallmarks of civilization for a Sumerian and the importance of dreams. We'll also cover the Sumerian contributions to the epic form of literature.
2. The Iliad: Greek Epic
This lecture traces the history of Greek epics. It then examines the central themes of 'The Iliad': Xenia, Achilles' wrath, and his quest for immortality. The plot of 'The Iliad' is summarized and attention is drawn to themes from the Sumerian tradition.
3. The Odyssey: Greek Epic
This lecture provides a rough outline of the exploits of Odysseus in Homer's epic poem ''The Odyssey''. You'll learn plot details about this epic poem, in addition to hearing about how this important tale relates to Greek culture and literary works throughout history.
4. The Argonautica Plot Synopsis: The Myth of Jason and the Argonauts
This lesson offers a complete plot synopsis of 'The Argonautica' by Apollonius of Rhodes. Discover the main characters of this romantic twist of a classic Greek myth and learn the similarities between this and 'The Odyssey.'
5. The Aeneid by Virgil
This lesson explores Virgil's 'Aeneid'. It consists of a brief plot synopsis. We stop along the way to look at a few important scenes and offer analysis where necessary.
6. Greek Myth and Religion
This lecture examines the troubles of generalizing Greek religion, before doing just that. It lists the major Olympian gods and their roles. It then explores the function of heroes in Greek religion. Next, the relationship between gods and men is laid out. Finally, it explores aspects of Greek myth that reemerge in Christianity.
7. The Bible as Literary Influence: References and Allusion
In this lesson, we'll consider the ways that many writers were influenced by various aspects of the Bible, both in the past and the present. We'll look at the way the Bible influences the stories and languages of writers and some allusions that authors make to the Bible.
8. Caedmon's Hymn: Summary & Themes
'Caedmon's Hymn' is one of the three earliest remaining poems in Old English. In fact, Caedmon is considered to be the first English poet. In this lesson, we will not only look into Caedmon's life and extraordinary life story, but interpret the hymn, as well.
9. Sylph: Definition & Overview
Learn about sylphs - the mythological beings of air that originated at the hand of Paracelsus - through a comprehensive definition and lesson. Then, examine your growing knowledge with a quiz.
10. Unferth's Challenge in Beowulf
Beowulf embodies the characteristics of the perfect hero. He is brave, strong and intelligent. That kind of perfection can lead to jealousy in some. Read about Unferth's challenge to Beowulf and how not everyone loves a hero.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 10th Grade English: Tutoring Solution course
- Text Analysis and Close Reading for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Developing as a Reader and Writer: Tutoring Solution
- Reading and Understanding in Various Media: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Forms and Genres for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Shakespeare for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- African American Writers: Tutoring Solution
- British Fiction for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- American Prose for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Literary Criticism: Tutoring Solution
- Drama for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process for 10th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Using Source Materials in 10th Grade English: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in 10th Grade Writing - Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of 10th Grade Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- 10th Grade Grammar Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Punctuation in 10th Grade Writing: Tutoring Solution