About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Ancient Literature for 9th Grade chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||The Epic of Gilgamesh||The storyline of the epic poem, Sumerian civilization, including its literary achievements|
|Tuesday||Greek epics: The Iliad and The Odyssey||Summaries of these two Greek epic poems; the origin and evolution of this form of literature, Greek culture, common themes in epic poetry|
|Wednesday||The Argonautica and The Aeneid||The plots of two classic works of literature, similarities among The Argonautica and The Aeneid, and other epic poetry|
|Thursday||Greek mythology and religion||Primary figures and events in Greek mythology, including gods and their relationships with humankind, and Greek mythology's comparison to religion|
|Friday||The Bible and literature||The influence of the Bible over writers and their works, writers' allusions to the Bible|
1. Greek Myth and Religion
This lecture examines the troubles of generalizing Greek religion, before doing just that. It lists the major Olympian gods and their roles. It then explores the function of heroes in Greek religion. Next, the relationship between gods and men is laid out. Finally, it explores aspects of Greek myth that reemerge in Christianity.
2. The Aeneid by Virgil
This lesson explores Virgil's 'Aeneid'. It consists of a brief plot synopsis. We stop along the way to look at a few important scenes and offer analysis where necessary.
3. The Argonautica Plot Synopsis: The Myth of Jason and the Argonauts
This lesson offers a complete plot synopsis of 'The Argonautica' by Apollonius of Rhodes. Discover the main characters of this romantic twist of a classic Greek myth and learn the similarities between this and 'The Odyssey.'
4. The Bible as Literary Influence: References and Allusion
In this lesson, we'll consider the ways that many writers were influenced by various aspects of the Bible, both in the past and the present. We'll look at the way the Bible influences the stories and languages of writers and some allusions that authors make to the Bible.
5. The Epic of Gilgamesh
Witness the Epic of Gilgamesh, a story of adventure, love and friendship. This long poem will help us examine the hallmarks of civilization for a Sumerian and the importance of dreams. We'll also cover the Sumerian contributions to the epic form of literature.
6. The Iliad: Greek Epic
This lecture traces the history of Greek epics. It then examines the central themes of 'The Iliad': Xenia, Achilles' wrath, and his quest for immortality. The plot of 'The Iliad' is summarized and attention is drawn to themes from the Sumerian tradition.
7. The Odyssey: Greek Epic
This lecture provides a rough outline of the exploits of Odysseus in Homer's epic poem ''The Odyssey''. You'll learn plot details about this epic poem, in addition to hearing about how this important tale relates to Greek culture and literary works throughout history.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- American Novels for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Usage Conventions in 9th Grade Writing Lesson Plans
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Identifying Usage Errors in 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Prose Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Essay Basics Lesson Plans
- Literary Terms for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Dramatic Literature for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Introduction to High School Writing Lesson Plans
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Text Analysis & Close Reading Lesson Plans
- Poetry for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Drama for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- British Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Capitalization & Spelling for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Elements of Grammar for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Punctuation in Writing for 9th Grade Lesson Plans