About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other 9th grade English work.
- Identify the ancient literature concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our 9th grade English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about ancient literature and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding The Aeneid, The Epic of Gilgamesh, The Iliad, The Odyssey or any other ancient literature topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their ancient literature unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in 9th grade English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about ancient literature simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live 9th grade English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about ancient literature on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Read and interpret The Epic of Gilgamesh.
- Examine the Greek epics, The Iliad and The Odyssey.
- Summarize the plot of Jason and the Argonauts.
- Discuss Virgil's, The Aeneid.
- Explore Greek myth and religion.
- Look at examples of works that allude and refer to the Bible.
1. The Epic of Gilgamesh
Witness the Epic of Gilgamesh, a story of adventure, love and friendship. This long poem will help us examine the hallmarks of civilization for a Sumerian and the importance of dreams. We'll also cover the Sumerian contributions to the epic form of literature.
2. The Iliad: Greek Epic
This lecture traces the history of Greek epics. It then examines the central themes of 'The Iliad': Xenia, Achilles' wrath, and his quest for immortality. The plot of 'The Iliad' is summarized and attention is drawn to themes from the Sumerian tradition.
3. The Odyssey: Greek Epic
This lecture provides a rough outline of the exploits of Odysseus in Homer's epic poem ''The Odyssey''. You'll learn plot details about this epic poem, in addition to hearing about how this important tale relates to Greek culture and literary works throughout history.
4. The Argonautica Plot Synopsis: The Myth of Jason and the Argonauts
This lesson offers a complete plot synopsis of 'The Argonautica' by Apollonius of Rhodes. Discover the main characters of this romantic twist of a classic Greek myth and learn the similarities between this and 'The Odyssey.'
5. The Aeneid by Virgil
This lesson explores Virgil's 'Aeneid'. It consists of a brief plot synopsis. We stop along the way to look at a few important scenes and offer analysis where necessary.
6. Greek Myth and Religion
This lecture examines the troubles of generalizing Greek religion, before doing just that. It lists the major Olympian gods and their roles. It then explores the function of heroes in Greek religion. Next, the relationship between gods and men is laid out. Finally, it explores aspects of Greek myth that reemerge in Christianity.
7. The Bible as Literary Influence: References and Allusion
In this lesson, we'll consider the ways that many writers were influenced by various aspects of the Bible, both in the past and the present. We'll look at the way the Bible influences the stories and languages of writers and some allusions that authors make to the Bible.
8. The Slough of Despond: Meaning & Overview
John Bunyan's classic tale 'Pilgrim's Progress' was published in 1678. It was his life's work. 'Pilgrim's Progress' is an allegory of a Christian's journey or pilgrimage through life's difficulties to Heaven. The main character, aptly named Christian, finds himself in a desperate trap called the Slough of Despond.
9. What is the Poetic Edda? - Summary & Quotes
In this lesson, we'll be looking at the ''Poetic Edda'' and its relationship to other Old Norse poetry. We will learn about Old Norse poetic forms and about the ''Prose Edda'' written by Snorri Sturluson.
10. The Prose Edda: Summary & Authors
In this lesson, we'll be looking at the ''Prose Edda'' and its relationship to Old Norse verse and mythology. We will learn about its author, Snorri Sturluson. We will also note the links between the ''Prose Edda'' and the ''Poetic Edda.''
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: Tutoring Solution course
- 9th Grade English - Prose: Tutoring Solution
- American Novels for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- British Fiction for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Dramatic Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Drama for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Poetry for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- Text Analysis and Close Reading in 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to High School Writing: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in 9th Grade Writing: Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade English: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Capitalization & Spelling: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of 9th Grade Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Grammar Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Punctuation in 9th Grade Writing: Tutoring Solution