About This Chapter
Ancient Minoans - Chapter Summary
Our lessons introduce you to the ancient Greeks who lived on the island of Crete, known as the Minoans, and their social structure, politics and framework of society. Learn more about the crafts and building technologies used by the Minoans, as well as their religious deities, rituals and symbols. You'll also examine how the Minoans went on to affect Greek religion and culture. Additional topics of study include the heroic life of Theseus and the myths of Icarus and Daedalus. This engaging chapter also prepares you to:
- Discuss the role of agriculture in the Minoan economy
- Outline the architecture used in the Minoan palace complexes
- Explain the funerary rituals and customs used by the Minoans
- Describe the importance of artwork created by the Minoans
- Identify the importance of the Phaistos Disc
- Detail what daily life was like for the Minoan people
Review the video and text lessons in our chapters, and then check your work using the lesson quizzes and chapter tests. If you want to study offline, our printable transcripts contain the essential topics and vocabulary words you'll want to review. If you need help while you're working through the lessons, our instructors are here to assist you.
1. Minoan Civilization: Facts, Map & Timeline
The early Greek civilization that lived on the island of Crete during the Bronze Age was known as the Minoan civilization. Understand facts and who the Minoans were and study the map and timeline of the Minoan civilization.
2. Minoan Civilization: Social Structure & Political Organization
The Minoan civilization on Crete appeared to be egalitarian in social structure and a bureaucracy with a king in its political organization. Learn about the Minoan civilization, the men and women, the palace elite, art, architecture, and agriculture.
3. Minoan Civilization: Economy & Trade
Scholars believe the Minoan civilization on Crete may have developed a trade empire and palace economy. Learn about the Minoans, an overview of the Minoan economy, and the controversy about their empire.
4. Minoan Civilization: Crafts, Industry & Technology
The Minoans developed the first major settled civilization in Europe. Along with this, they got pretty crafty too. In this lesson, we'll explore Minoan crafts and technologies and see what this tells us about their industrious society.
5. Minoan Civilization: Religion, Deities & Symbols
What gods and goddesses did the ancient Minoans of Crete worship and how did this influence the later Greek religion? Read more about the Minoan religion and its influence in this lesson.
6. Minoan Civilization: Religious Rituals & Places
In this lesson, learn more about the religious rituals of the Minoans of Crete, such as their dances and offerings, as well as the sacred spaces they created and used.
7. Minoan Architecture & Palaces
The ancient Minoans founded the first urban civilization in European history, and they couldn't have done it without their architecture. In this lesson, we'll explore Minoan building design and see what sort of impact it had on Western civilization.
8. Minoan Civilization: Funerary Beliefs, Practices & Tombs
The Minoans built a complex civilization on the Greek island of Crete. In this lesson, we're going to look at the funerary practices of this civilization, and see what they tell us about Minoan life.
9. Myth of Theseus: Summary, Overview
The Greek myth of Theseus is about a hero who defeats the Minotaur, a monster with a bull's head and a man's body. Explore a summary of this myth and learn about the Greek hero Theseus and his many adventures.
10. Icarus & Daedalus: Myth & Summary
Explore the famous Greek myth about Icarus and Daedalus. Discover the legendary innovations of Daedalus and how his creation of wings led to his son's tragic death, as well as the context of the myth in Greek and Minoan culture.
11. Minoan Art: History & Images
Minoans were a group of early Greeks who created beautiful, vivid art. Discover the history, images, pottery, palaces, paintings, sculptures, and metal of Minoan art in this lesson.
12. Phaistos Disc: History & Significance
Some archeological discoveries have the power to challenge everything we think we know and fascinate us for generations. In this lesson, we'll look at the Phaistos Disc and discuss its significance and meaning.
13. Daily Life in the Minoan Civilization
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live on an island about 4,000 years ago? Read this lesson to learn about what everyday life was like as a Minoan on the Greek island of Crete.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the HSC Ancient History: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Cities of Vesuvius: Pompeii & Herculaneum
- Old Kingdom of Ancient Egypt
- New Kingdom of Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Egyptian Economy & Society
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Customs
- Important Ancient Egyptian Personalities
- Ancient Assyria Overview
- Israel & Judah from Solomon to the Fall of Jerusalem
- Ancient Israel Overview
- Important Near East Personalities
- Persia from Cyrus II to Darius III
- Ancient Persia Overview
- Mycenaean Civilization
- Ancient Greece from 500-399 BC
- Ancient Greece: Athens Overview
- Ancient Greece: Sparta Overview
- 4th Century Greece Till the Death of Philip II of Macedon
- Important Ancient Greek Personalities
- Ancient Rome from 264 to 31 BC
- Ancient Rome from 44 BC to AD 235
- Important Ancient Roman Personalities
- HSC Ancient History Flashcards