About This Chapter
Ancient Near East Art - Chapter Summary
In the sweeping history of the Near East, art has taken on many forms and functions during different time periods. This chapter helps you take a critical look at what we know of the art of ancient peoples including the Sumerians, Assyrians, and Mesopotamians. You'll see how art in the ancient Near East was a reflection of history, politics, and culture just as it is today. By the end of this chapter you will be able to:
- Explain the use of naturalism and stylization in Mesopotamian art
- Describe human and animal forms in the art of the ancient Near East
- Compare and contrast Sumerian and Assyrian art and architecture
- Describe the evolution of the art of the ancient Near East
- Discuss the representation of spiritual beliefs through art
- Describe the Naram-Sin and the Hammurabi steles
Our experienced instructors have created a chapter full of intriguing bits of the past that allow you to comprehend the purpose, form, and function of art in the ancient Near East. By using our worksheets and chapter review tests, you'll be able to enhance your learning in an efficient manner.
1. Art of the Ancient Near East: Periods & Characteristics
This lesson will introduce the art of the Ancient Near East. We will explore some basic information about the region, learn about the major characteristics of its art, and examine the five major periods of its art.
2. Artworks of the Ancient Near East: Materials, Forms & Functions
In this lesson, we will study the materials, forms, and functions of the art of the Ancient Near East. We will pay special attention to forms like steles, cylinder seals, votive figures, and lyres.
3. Use of Naturalism & Stylization in Mesopotamian Art
In this lesson, you will explore the art of ancient Mesopotamia and discover how the styles of naturalism and stylization were used by ancient artists. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Human & Animal Forms in the Art of the Ancient Near East
In this lesson, you will explore the ways that cultures of the ancient Near East represented both humans and animals in their art and how these figures interacted with each other. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Sumerian Art and Architecture
This lesson explores the artwork of one of the earliest civilizations: the Sumerians. Sumerians created beautiful works of art that inspired other cultures for centuries after their decline.
6. Assyrian Art and Architecture
This lesson explores the unique characteristics of a fierce and violent culture: the Assyrians. The Assyrians were a warrior culture living in ancient Mesopotamia who used art and architecture to display their power.
7. Ancient Near East Art As a Reflection of History, Politics & Culture
In this lesson, we will explore how the art of the Ancient Near East reflects the history, politics, and culture of that region. We will look at several examples of art that make a special contribution to this process.
8. Evolution of the Art of the Ancient Near East
In this lesson, we're going to explore the evolution of art in the Ancient Near East. We'll look at how the Sumerians laid a foundation that other cultures adopted and adapted to suit their goals and needs.
9. Representation of Spiritual Beliefs in the Art of the Ancient Near East
In this lesson, we will learn how the art of the ancient Near East expresses the spiritual beliefs of the people of that region. We will pay special attention to religious statuary and ziggurats.
10. The Naram-Sin & Hammurabi Steles
In this lesson you will explore the art of ancient Mesopotamia, focusing on the use of steles to communicate important information. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Art History: Exam Prep course
- Introduction to Art
- Prehistoric Art
- Ancient Egyptian Art
- Ancient Greek Art
- Ancient Roman Art
- Early Christian Art
- Art of the Byzantine Empire
- Medieval Art
- Romanesque Style of Art
- Gothic Art
- Fifteenth-Century Art
- Sixteenth-Century Art
- Art of the Baroque Period
- Rococo Art
- Neoclassical Art
- Art of the Romantic Period
- Impressionist Art
- Post-Impressionism in Art
- Early Twentieth-Century Art
- Postwar to Postmodern Art
- Global Contemporary Art
- Asian Art
- Art of the Pacific
- Art of Indigenous Americas
- African Art
- AP Art History Flashcards