About This Chapter
Ancient Persia, India & China - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll study the civilizations of Ancient China, Persia and India. Topics covered in these lessons include the history and culture of the Persian Empire, as well as a timeline of its major events. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the edicts and rulers of India's Mauryan Empire
- Identify the leaders of the Gupta dynasty in India
- Outline the Shang and Zhou dynasties of Ancient China
- Explain the Qin Dynasty's role in The Great Wall of China
- Detail the characteristics of the Han Dynasty
These learning tools are accessible 24 hours a day, so you can study on your mobile phone any time that you'd like. To ensure you've understood what you've learned, take the lesson quizzes and chapter test before moving on to other topics. Our video lessons are easy to navigate using the video tabs feature. Feel free to reach out to an instructor with any questions that come up as you work through the chapter.
1. Persian Empire: History, Culture & Timeline
The Persian Empire was one of the first major empires in the ancient world. Meet major leaders and explore the history and culture of the Persian Empire in this lesson.
2. The Mauryan Empire in India: Rulers & Edicts
In this lesson, we will study India's Mauryan Empire. We will learn about its rulers, explore its government and economy, delve into its religious life, and examine its decline and disappearance.
3. The Gupta Dynasty in India: Leaders & Arabic Numerals
In this lesson, we will explore India's Gupta dynasty. We will learn about its founding and expansion, discover the achievements of its people, and examine its decline and disappearance.
4. Ancient China: Shang & Zhou Dynasties
In this lesson, we will study the Shang and Zhou Dynasties. We will pay close attention to the founding, major accomplishments and characteristics, and decline of these dynasties.
5. The Qin Dynasty in China: The Great Wall & Legalism
In this lesson, we will explore the short-lived but powerful Qin Dynasty of China. We will examine the dynasty's founding, life under Qin rule, the Qin legacy, and the downfall of the Qin.
6. The Han Dynasty in China: Characteristics, Wu Ti & Xiongnu
In this lesson, we will explore China's Han dynasty. We will discover the ups and downs of its history and learn about some of its major characteristics and accomplishments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Citizenship Education - Content Knowledge (5087): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ancient Greece & Rome
- Byzantine Empire & Crusades
- Overview of World Religions
- Global Dynasties (300-1400 CE)
- Renaissance, Reformation & Enlightenment
- Early North American History
- Understanding European Colonization
- The American Revolution & US Constitution
- US Expansion, Civil War & Reconstruction Period
- Historical Impact of Trade & Revolutions
- 1800s & 1900s Imperialism Overview
- World War I, the Progressive Era & the New Deal
- World War II & The Cold War
- Protests, Activism & Civil Disobedience
- Vietnam War & Political Conservatism
- The Contemporary Role of the US
- Political Ideologies & Philosophy
- US Government & Politics Overview
- World Governments & International Relations
- Geographical Maps & Spatial Concepts
- Overview of Humans & the Environment
- Family Systems, Gender Roles & Religion
- Language, Ethnicity & Culture
- Human Migration & Settlement
- Agriculture & Food Science Basics
- Demographic Patterns
- Overview of Political Geography
- Overview of the Economy & Geography
- Overview of Microeconomics
- Overview of Macroeconomics
- Personal Finance Basics
- Praxis Citizenship Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards