About This Chapter
Ancient Persia Overview - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons to learn about the history of the ancient Persian Empire. Our expert instructors cover the Persian army, government and economy in a way that is easy to understand. The lessons also examine the culture and artistic accomplishments of Persia. When you have completed the chapter, you will better be able to:
- Discuss ancient Persian government, including the importance of the bureaucracy
- List Persian economic and military achievements
- Describe technological advancements made by Persia
- Identify famous Persian women
- Explain the day-to-day life of a Persian subject
- Explore religious and funerary practices of the Persians
- Understand the art and culture of ancient Persia
Every chapter is made up of brief video and text lessons. Begin by reviewing a lesson, then test your knowledge using a short quiz. You can see what you remember about the chapter as a whole using the more comprehensive chapter exam. Each lesson is created by an experienced instructor to help you quickly and efficiently review the material covered.
1. The Persian Empire: Government & Army
For centuries, the Persians ruled one of the largest empires the world had ever seen, stretching from Turkey in the west to Afghanistan in the east. This lesson examines the government of the Persian Empire, as well as its intimidating army that helped hold it together.
2. The Persian Empire: Economy & Trade
In this lesson, you'll learn about the Persian Empire's natural resources and economy. The Persian Empire was known for its extensive trade system, and you'll learn about how the trade affected the economy.
3. Craft, Industry & Technology in Ancient Persia
In this lesson, you will learn about ancient Persia, and how that great civilization used different materials, styles, and ideas from foreign lands to create uniquely Persian crafts, architecture, and military technologies.
4. The Persian Empire: Religion & Social Structure
The Persian Empire was sophisticated and complex in many ways. In this lesson, we'll talk about two of the biggest influences on Persian lives: their religion and their social status.
5. Ancient Persian Bureaucracy: Arstibara, Vacabara & Hazarapatis
The ancient Persians developed an incredibly successful society, one which was run by well organized bureaucracies. In this lesson, we'll explore the Persian bureaucracy and get to know some of the top-ranking nobles.
6. Women in Ancient Persia: Royalty, Privileges & Tradition
In this lesson you will learn about the status and privileges enjoyed by women in Ancient Persia. We will look at the status and economic roles of both royal and non-royal women during this time.
7. Funerary Beliefs, Practices & Tombs in Ancient Persia
Ancient Persian royal funerary beliefs and practices were similar in some respects to those of many surrounding ancient cultures of the time. However, during later periods, many of the ancient Persian practices became unsavory and even outlawed. It's important to look at both to get a clear picture of how Persians dealt with these differences.
8. Ancient Persian Art and Architecture: History & Style
This lesson explores the artwork of one of the most powerful and expansive empires in history: the Persian Empire. Persian artwork contained vivid imagery that recorded the success of the Persian kings in battle and their cultural tendencies.
9. Ancient Persian Writing
Ancient Persia was one of the great powers of the world, with a complex civilization. In this lesson, we're going to explore how writing influenced this civilization and check out a few notable examples.
10. Daily Life in Ancient Persia
The ancient Persians were ahead of their time. Here you will learn more about the people's daily lives, like their art, inventions, the school subjects that they learned and the skilled jobs that helped raise the empire to grand heights.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Ancient History: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Cities of Vesuvius: Pompeii & Herculaneum
- Old Kingdom of Ancient Egypt
- New Kingdom of Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Egyptian Economy & Society
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Customs
- Important Ancient Egyptian Personalities
- Ancient Assyria Overview
- Israel & Judah from Solomon to the Fall of Jerusalem
- Ancient Israel Overview
- Important Near East Personalities
- Persia from Cyrus II to Darius III
- Ancient Minoans
- Mycenaean Civilization
- Ancient Greece from 500-399 BC
- Ancient Greece: Athens Overview
- Ancient Greece: Sparta Overview
- 4th Century Greece Till the Death of Philip II of Macedon
- Important Ancient Greek Personalities
- Ancient Rome from 264 to 31 BC
- Ancient Rome from 44 BC to AD 235
- Important Ancient Roman Personalities
- HSC Ancient History Flashcards