About This Chapter
Ancient Roman Empire - Chapter Summary
Our expert instructors created this teacher resource chapter on the Ancient Roman Empire with the needs of middle school teachers in mind. In these short video lessons, you'll find subjects such as the founding and early history of Ancient Rome, the influence of Ancient Roman culture on modern life and the rise of the Roman Republic. These videos can be used to interest your students in the Ancient Roman culture while bringing technology into the classroom. These lessons and quizzes are accessible 24 hours a day on any computer, mobile phone or tablet for easy planning.
How It Helps
- Simplifies planning: With our printable lesson transcripts and quizzes, creating assessments and handouts for your students on the Ancient Roman Empire has never been easier.
- Engages students: These teacher resources provide you with new ways to interest your students in the Ancient Roman Empire while they explore this fascinating time period.
- Aids curriculum planning: A wide range of topics relating to the Ancient Roman Empire are provided in this chapter, allowing you to craft your lesson plans easily using one concise resource.
Use this chapter to teach your students how to:
- Detail Rome's early history and founding
- Outline Ancient Roman culture and its influence today
- Discuss the events that led to the rise of the Roman Republic
- Describe the culture and government of the Roman Empire
- Define the Twelve Table and the laws associated with them
- Explain the life and assassination of Julius Caesar
- Explore life in the Roman Empire under Augustus
- Discuss the Eastern Roman Empire and Constantine
- Outline the legacies of Roman art, technology, literature, law and science
1. The Founding of Ancient Rome & Rome's Early History
This lesson covers the foundation of Rome. We look at the geography of Italy. We examine some of its most important inhabitants before the Romans. Finally, we look at both the historical facts and the Roman myths regarding the foundation of Rome.
2. Ancient Roman Culture & Its Influence on Modern Life
From religion and laws to language and more, the Romans have had an enormous impact on the development of Western culture. This lesson details a few of the more prominent points of the Roman legacy.
3. The Roman Empire: Government & Culture
After the demise of the Roman Republic, Augustus presided over the early Roman Empire. In this lesson, explore elements of the government, military, and culture of imperial Rome.
4. Twelve Tables: Definition & Laws
Ancient Rome was a complex society, and they had a complex legal tradition to keep things straight. In this lesson, we'll look at the origins of Roman law and examine the laws of the Twelve Tables.
5. Who was Julius Caesar? - Life & Assassination
In this lesson we will learn who Julius Caesar was. Together, we will take a closer look at his history, his personal life, and his legacy. We will analyze the improvements he made to Rome and how that may have led ultimately to his assassination.
6. Life in the Roman Empire Under Augustus
Augustus was Rome's first emperor, and he had the job of overseeing Rome's transition out of a republic. In this lesson, we'll talk about how this changed Roman society and daily life in the Eternal City.
7. Division of the Roman Empire: Diocletian & the 3rd Century Crisis
This lesson will explain the 3rd Century Crisis of the Roman Empire. It will focus on the political, civil and economic problems that caused the crisis, and will also highlight the role of Diocletian in the resolution of the crisis.
8. The Fall of Rome
This lesson explains the gradual fall of Rome. In doing so, it highlights corruption, division, and outside invasion as the main reasons for the fall of the Eternal City.
9. Constantine & the Eastern Roman Empire
This lesson will explain the reign of Constantine and his move to Constantinople. It will focus on the advantages of its location, its ties to Roman law, and its homogeneous Christian population.
10. Legacies of Roman Art & Architecture
In this lesson, you'll explore the legacy of art and architecture from the powerful Roman Empire, which influences our ideas about style to this day. Afterward, you can test your understanding of the ancient world with a quiz.
11. Legacies of Roman Technology & Science
In this lesson, you will explore the legacies of Roman technology and science, legacies that still influence us to this day. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
12. Legacies of Roman Literature, Language & Law
In this lesson, you will explore the legacies of Roman language, called Latin, and the literature and law they used that language to create. Then, test your understanding about the ancient Romans with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Social Studies Teacher Resources course
- Early Hominin Evolution
- Ancient Sumerian Cities & Culture
- Ancient Mesopotamian Empires
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Structures
- Life in Ancient India
- Life in Ancient China
- Ancient Greece Culture & Politics
- World Religions & Beliefs
- European Life in the Middle Ages
- The Empires of Rome
- Religion & Culture of Islam
- The Christian Crusades
- Early West African Culture & Development
- Imperial China Overview
- Life in Medieval Japan
- The Maya, Aztec & Inca Peoples
- European Renaissance Overview
- The European Protestant Reformation
- Exploration of the New World
- Origins of Modern Science
- The Enlightenment Era
- European Exploration of the Americas
- The First Colonies in America
- The American Revolution Causes & Consequences
- Early American Government Origins & Documents
- Origins of the American Republic
- The Jefferson Presidency in America
- The Jackson Presidency in America
- American Expansion of the 1800s
- American Reform Movements in the 1800s
- Origins of the American Civil War
- Overview of the United States Civil War
- The Civil War Reconstruction Era
- The Second Industrial Revolution in the USA
- American Imperialism & The Progressive Era
- The United States & WWI
- American Life in the 1920s
- The Great Depression, New Deal & The USA
- The United States & WWII
- America During the Cold War
- USA Presidents & Movements of the 1960s & 1970s
- Contemporary American Movements & Presidents