About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering ancient South American art and architecture material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about ancient South American art and architecture. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing details about ancient South American art and architecture
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning art history (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Ancient South American Art and Architecture chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Ancient South American Art and Architecture chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any art history question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about ancient South American art and architecture for a standard art history course. Topics covered include:
- Culture and art of the ancient Andean people
- Many more ancient South American art and architecture concepts
1. Ancient Andean Art & Culture
The Andes Mountains compose a formidable landscape, but were nevertheless home to some incredible civilizations. In this lesson, we'll explore the arts and cultures of the ancient Andes, and see what trends united them.
2. Temple of the Sun at Machu Picchu: History & Facts
The Temple of the Sun is an important part of the Incan Machu Picchu archealogical complex. Learn about this architectural marvel and its purpose in this lesson.
3. Chichen Itza Ruins in Mexico: History & Facts
Ancient civilizations were responsible for some amazing architectural wonders. One of those structures is that of Chichen Itza, the focus of this lesson. We will discuss the history of this monumental complex and a few of the known facts about it.
4. Chichen Itza Architecture
Chichen Itza is renowned for its striking architecture. It is synonymous with Mayan culture and architecture and has stood for centuries as a testament to ancient ingenuity and artistry.
5. Architecture of Teotihuacan: Pyramid of the Sun & Avenue of the Dead
Teotihuacán is one of the most mysterious ruins in all of Mesoamerica. In this lesson, we'll look at the architecture of this site and see what this can tell us about an ancient and mysterious people.
6. Teotihuacan Murals: Description & Examples
Teotihuacan is one of the largest and richest archaeological finds in Mesoamerica. Although there is no written history of this complex, ancient civilization, the story of Teotihuacan is told in its many, richly rendered murals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art, Music, and Architecture Around the World course
- Renaissance Art & Architecture
- Religious Art, Music & Architecture
- Musical Genres
- Music from the Classical Period
- Art Genres
- Art & Architecture of the Ancient Middle East
- Art & Architecture of Ancient Rome
- Art & Architecture of Ancient Africa
- Art & Architecture in the Americas
- Art & Architecture in Ancient Asia
- Art & Architecture in Ancient Greece
- Architectural Themes
- Art & Architecture of Europe
- Art of the Neoclassical Period
- Carving, Woodcuts & Woodblock Printing
- Glass in Art & Architecture