About This Chapter
Ancient Sumerian Cities & Culture - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find helpful information about Ancient Sumerian culture and cities written by our expert instructors. Use these resources to teach your students about the Fertile Crescent, the civilization of the Ancient Sumerians and the history of Mesopotamia. Our video lessons are handy to show to your students in class and allow you to bring technology into the classroom. And the chapter test and lesson quizzes are interactive self-assessment tools that ensure your students are following along with this material.
How It Helps
- Encourages discussion: Show the videos to your students before starting a class discussion on Ancient Sumeria.
- Promotes engagement: All of these videos can be worked into your own interesting activities, class projects and other tools to bring the time period of the Ancient Sumerians to life for your students.
- Simplifies planning: By using this chapter, you'll have access to a variety of subjects relating to the Ancient Sumerians all in one concise and user-friendly resource.
When you use this resource to teach your students, they should know how to:
- Discuss the history and culture of Mesopotamia
- Outline the Fertile Crescent as the cradle of civilization
- Detail the civilization and history of the Ancient Sumerians
- Define cuneiform writing and the symbols it uses
1. Mesopotamia: Culture, Facts & History
Ancient Mesopotamia, a region located in modern day Iraq, was a rich and diverse culture. In this lesson we will explore some of the major events and most interesting facts about Ancient Mesopotamia.
2. The Fertile Crescent: Cradle of Civilization
Complex civilization wasn't always the norm. In this lesson, we are going to check out the origins of civilization as we know it, and see where, when, and how this new system of living first began.
3. Ancient Sumerians: History, Civilization & Culture
The ancient Sumerians developed one of the earliest complex civilizations in the world. In this lesson, we are going to explore Sumerian history and culture, and examine the legacies of their dominance.
4. Cuneiform Writing: Definition, Symbols & History
In this lesson, we explore humankind's earliest language notation, cuneiform writing, created in the 4th millennium BC. We explore its characteristics and its evolution throughout history.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Social Studies Teacher Resources course
- Early Hominin Evolution
- Ancient Mesopotamian Empires
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Structures
- Life in Ancient India
- Life in Ancient China
- Ancient Greece Culture & Politics
- Ancient Roman Empire
- World Religions & Beliefs
- European Life in the Middle Ages
- The Empires of Rome
- Religion & Culture of Islam
- The Christian Crusades
- Early West African Culture & Development
- Imperial China Overview
- Life in Medieval Japan
- The Maya, Aztec & Inca Peoples
- European Renaissance Overview
- The European Protestant Reformation
- Exploration of the New World
- Origins of Modern Science
- The Enlightenment Era
- European Exploration of the Americas
- The First Colonies in America
- The American Revolution Causes & Consequences
- Early American Government Origins & Documents
- Origins of the American Republic
- The Jefferson Presidency in America
- The Jackson Presidency in America
- American Expansion of the 1800s
- American Reform Movements in the 1800s
- Origins of the American Civil War
- Overview of the United States Civil War
- The Civil War Reconstruction Era
- The Second Industrial Revolution in the USA
- American Imperialism & The Progressive Era
- The United States & WWI
- American Life in the 1920s
- The Great Depression, New Deal & The USA
- The United States & WWII
- America During the Cold War
- USA Presidents & Movements of the 1960s & 1970s
- Contemporary American Movements & Presidents