About This Chapter
Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases - Chapter Summary
Top instructors have created entertaining lessons you can study at home or on-the-go to improve your knowledge of aneurysms and cardiovascular diseases. Review this chapter to gain full comprehension of arterial and venous occlusions, peripheral venous disease and much more. When finished, you may be able to:
- Define and list types of acute peripheral vascular insufficiency
- Discuss options for treating acute peripheral vascular insufficiency
- Identify symptoms and describe the treatment of peripheral venous disease
- Explain how arterial and venous occlusions are diagnosed and treated
- Share the definition, causes and symptoms of aneurysms
- Differentiate between ruptured and dissecting aneurysms
- Compare and contrast thoracic, abdominal and thoracoabdominal aneuryms
This chapter is a fantastic solution for individuals interested in tailoring their study of aneurysms and cardiovascular disease to their personal schedule. Feel free to access the lessons in this chapter anytime using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Take the multiple-choice quizzes of your choice to gauge your comprehension of individual lessons. For a broader review of this chapter, be sure to take our practice exam.
1. Acute Peripheral Vascular Insufficiency: Definition & Types
Acute peripheral vascular insufficiency (PVI) is the sudden complete loss of blood flow to a limb. The different types of PVI are those caused by atherosclerosis, embolus or a thrombus. Acute peripheral vascular insufficiency can be life threatening if left untreated.
2. Treatment Options for Acute Peripheral Vascular Insufficiency
Peripheral vascular disease is also known as peripheral arterial disease. In this condition, restricted arteries reduce blood flow to the body's extremities. This lesson discusses the treatment options for acute peripheral vascular insufficiencies.
3. Peripheral Venous Disease: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson will discuss numerous cases of peripheral venous disease, including varicose veins, deep vein thrombosis, and thrombophlebitis, as well as their causes and treatment options.
4. Arterial & Venous Occlusions: Diagnosis & Treatment
Obstructed or occluded arteries and veins are serious medical conditions that can potentially be life-threatening. This lesson will provide information on the diagnosis and treatment of arterial and venous occlusions.
5. Aneurysm: Definition, Causes & Symptoms
You've probably heard of someone having an aneurysm, but what exactly does that mean? Read this lesson to learn what an aneurysm is, what causes it, and what the symptoms are.
6. Ruptured vs. Dissecting Aneurysms
This lesson is going to define ruptured aneurysms and dissecting aneurysms. You'll learn about other aneurysms in the process, as well as the signs, symptoms, and treatments related to the former two.
7. Thoracic, Abdominal & Thoracoabdominal Aneurysms
An aneurysm is a weakening of an artery caused by bulging and expansion. Symptoms and treatments of aneurysms depend on where they show up in the body. This lesson will discuss thoracic, abdominal, and thoracoabdominal aneurysms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing