About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering animal health and reproduction material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn animal health and reproduction. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing events and people associated with animal health and reproduction
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning animal science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Animal Health & Reproduction chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Animal Health & Reproduction chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any animal science question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an animal health and reproduction unit of a standard animal science course. Topics covered include:
- Common health issues for farm animals and their treatments
- Typical behavioral patterns among groups of animals
- Explanation and examples of breeding farm animals
- The effects of inbreeding
- A brief synopsis of genetics
- The importance of nutrition and its effect on farm animal health
1. Preventing & Treating Health Issues in Farm Animals
Have you ever wondered if taking care of our health is similar to taking care of farm animal health? Get your answer as we discuss vaccinations, parasite prevention, and appropriate maintenance to prevent health issues in farm animals.
2. Social Behavior: Agonistic, Dominance Hierarchies, & Territoriality
Instead of using words, animals communicate with each other through social behaviors. These actions between individuals may be used to establish rank, defend home and breeding sites, and compete for resources.
3. Breeding Farm Animals
This lesson will go over the very important basic concepts related to breeding farm animals in general, including the breeding soundness exam, pregnancy checks, abortion, and parturition.
4. Inbreeding: Definition and Effects
You know you're not supposed to marry your sister or even your cousin. But why? In this lesson, learn why inbreeding can be harmful, but on the other hand, why it's sometimes done on purpose.
5. Genetics: Heredity, Traits & Chromosomes
We view manipulation of genes in our crops and livestock as a recent development. Yet, man has been manipulating the genetic makeup of his food for thousands of years through cultivation and breeding. This lesson will begin to help you understand how genetics works.
6. How Nutrition Affects Farm Animal Health
This lesson explores the many facets of how nutrition affects farm animal health. We'll go over examples of the importance of nutrition and discuss what needs to be considered when formulating a dietary plan for a farm animal.
7. Ear Mites in Dogs: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson goes over a common condition seen in pets, ear mites! Find out what signs to look out for that may indicate your dog has them and what the general treatment options are for ear mites in dogs.
8. Ear Mites in Cats: Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, you will learn about the common symptoms of ear mites in domestic cats. We will also discuss the best ways to treat ear mite infections, as recommended by veterinarians.
9. Ear Mites in Rabbits: Symptoms & Treatment
Ear mites are a type of parasite that can affect various animals, including rabbits. This lesson will provide the reader with information regarding the common symptoms and treatment for rabbits infected with ear mites.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.