About This Chapter
Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology- Chapter Summary
Watch and read these short and engaging lessons to refresh your memory of the important topics on anatomy and physiology. You'll learn about the various systems of the body and how they work. Concepts you'll review in this chapter include:
- Consequences when homeostasis fails
- How to adapt to stimuli
- Function of the respiratory system
- Relationship between toxic substances and the kidneys
- Parts of the digestive system
- Two parts of the circulatory system
- Importance of the nervous system
- How hormones impact the body
- Number of bones in the human body
- Function of the immune system
- Pathway of sperm in the male reproductive system
- How eggs are produced in the female reproductive system
- Fundamentals behind animal behavior
- Reproductive cycle
Learning or reviewing these topics can be an easy and enjoyable experience because of the resources available to you in this chapter. Short multiple-choice lesson quizzes let you assess your learning. Then you can go back into the lessons and re-review material before moving on.
1. What Is Homeostasis? - Definition & Examples
Homeostasis can be defined as a property of an organism or system that helps it maintain its parameters within a normal range of values. It is key to life, and failures in homeostasis can lead to diseases like hypertension and diabetes.
2. Stimuli: Definition & Examples
Stimuli are constantly affecting us and our daily lives. Therefore, it is important to understand how stimuli can cause changes in our environment and how we are able to adapt to them.
3. Respiratory System: Function & Physiology
The human respiratory system is a crucial facet of a vital, healthy body. In this lesson, we will explore its function and physiology. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. Excretory System
Each year in the U.S., close to 400,000 people with kidney failure undergo dialysis treatment in order to remove waste, remove excess fluid and restore electrolyte balance. Kidneys, the workhorses of the excretory system, perform these same functions more effectively than any machine. In this lesson, we'll talk about how the excretory system removes toxic substances from the body.
5. Overview of the Human Digestive System
Discover how the human digestive system works - one of the most important systems in the human body. Learn what each part does, and then see how much you remember with a quick quiz.
6. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
In this lesson, you will take a ride on the transportation system of the body called the circulatory system and its two parts: the pulmonary circuit and the systemic circuit. Take a look inside and see how every inch of your body receives the oxygen and nutrients it needs.
7. Nervous System Overview: Central & Peripheral
What happens in your nervous system when you react to stimuli? Did you know that the brain is sometimes uninvolved with reflexes? Find out the answer to these questions, and more, in this lesson on the human nervous system.
8. Endocrine System Function & Hormone Regulation
Our hormones play a big part in how we feel and behave throughout the day. Hormones also affect important bodily functions. What other functions do our hormones regulate? Find out in this lesson on the endocrine system!
9. Skeletal System and Muscular System
Do you know how many bones are in the human body? Check out this video lesson to uncover the answer, as well as understand the role and importance of the skeletal and muscular systems.
10. Immune System: Function & Responses
The immune system is the body's defense against invaders that could do it harm. This lesson covers the different parts and their functions in protecting the body against infections.
11. Male Reproductive System: Functions, Organs & Anatomy
Ever wonder what the inside of a male looks like? Find out in this lesson that explores the inner workings of the male reproductive system and the pathway that sperm takes.
12. Female Reproductive System: Internal Anatomy
Ever wonder where a female produces her eggs or how they get from the ovary to the uterus? Find out in this lesson about the internal reproductive anatomy of females.
13. Animal Behaviors that Aid in Reproduction
Reproduction is the fundamental driving force behind animal behavior. Here we will examine some of the behaviors that ensure reproductive success, and you can test yourself at the end with a brief quiz.
14. Reproductive Cycles of Animals
While there is a full range of animal life on this planet, the truth is that it all follows the same basic cycle: it is born, it reproduces, and it dies. In this lesson, we'll focus on the reproductive cycles, from sperm and eggs on through adulthood.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards