About This Chapter
Anti-Bullying Statutes - Chapter Summary
Bullying has become such a growing problem in schools across the U.S., especially with the rise in cyberbullying, that all 50 states have developed legislation regarding it. The lessons in this chapter outline the laws of some states and also highlight court cases that have developed as a result of bullying episodes. With this chapter, you'll learn:
- Anti-bullying laws in California, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, and New Jersey
- Federal anti-bullying laws
- Court cases addressing cyberbulling
- Cyberbullying laws in Texas
Informative lessons are presented by professionals who make learning this material easy and engaging. Take self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson to make sure you fully understand these facts before you move on to the next topic.
How It Helps
- Increases awareness - Builds your knowledge of the legal rights and responsibilities of educators regarding bullying.
- Supports teaching strategies: Relates knowledge that helps you to develop more effective and detailed lessons about bullying and anti-bullying.
- Expands knowledge of cyberbullying - Reviews legal topics on cyberbullying to increase your awareness of the seriousness of this practice.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Understand your legal obligations regarding bullying
- Recount specific bullying laws to your colleagues and students
- Compare anti-bullying laws between different states
1. California Anti-Bullying Laws
This lesson goes over various anti-bullying laws found in California. You'll learn what types of bullying they apply to and what punishments (if any) they institute for bullying.
2. Massachusetts Anti-Bullying Laws
In this lesson, we will learn about some of the many Massachusetts laws regarding bullying and behaviors similar to bullying. While one law is specifically anti-bullying, there are others on the books that are related and can apply to similar cases.
3. Michigan Anti-Bullying Laws
This lesson goes over Michigan's anti-bullying laws. You'll learn where they can be found, how they define bullying, and what punishments can be instituted for a certain form of bullying.
4. New Jersey Anti-Bullying Laws
What exactly do the anti-bullying laws in New Jersey cover? This lesson will define harassment and outline the steps that must be taken according to the law.
5. New York State (NYS) Anti-Bullying Laws
In this lesson, you will learn more about the act of bullying itself, more specifically, the New York State law designed to address the problem. Examples will also be provided to better understand why these laws are needed and the horrible impact bullying has on the individuals who've experienced it.
6. Cyberbullying Court Cases
This lesson provides insight int the issue of cyberbullying by reviewing four tragic cyberbullying incidents resulting in court cases. The outcome and aftermath of each case is also discussed.
7. Federal Cyberbullying Laws
Cyberbullying is a newer form of bullying that involves the use of electronic technology. In this lesson, we will examine the current laws that govern issues regarding cyberbullying.
8. Cyberbullying Laws in Texas
In this lesson we explore cyberbullying and the measures being put in place in Texas to combat the practice. Notably, we discover the measures and programs recently enacted by the state government.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Interpersonal Skills: Lesson Plans & Activities course
- Interpersonal Relationships Lesson Plans
- Types of Communication Lesson Plans
- Social Skills Lesson Plans
- Team Building Lesson Plans & Resources
- Anti-Bullying Lesson Plans & Resources
- Classroom Bullying Prevention
- Anti-Bullying Campaigns & Activities
- Suicide Prevention Resources
- Cyberbullying Resources for Teachers
- Cyberbullying Resources for Parents
- Peer Pressure Resources for Teachers