About This Chapter
Anticonvulsant Medications - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll explore topics pertaining to various anticonvulsant medications, such as lamotrigine and topiramate. Using an engaging and simple teaching style, our instructors break down these drugs' side effects, structures, mechanisms of action and drug interactions.
You can access the lessons at any time using your computer or mobile device. Submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help, and be sure to try the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to make sure you fully understand the information you study. The chapter also includes a comprehensive multiple-choice exam.
How It Helps
Students and healthcare professionals can benefit from the lessons in this chapter. Pharmacology students can use the chapter to get ahead in a course, study for an exam or brush up on important medication concepts. The chapter can also help working healthcare professionals who need to learn new skills or receive basic pharmacology training.
By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Asses the uses and side effects of topiramate and lamotrigine
- Discuss lamotrigine's pharmacokinetics and mechanism of action
- Outline the structure, pharmacology and classification of lamotrigine
- Describe the mechanism of action and structure of topiramate
- Understand the effects of lamotrigine and topiramate overdoses
- Evaluate the drug interactions and contraindications of lamotrigine and topiramate
1. Lamotrigine: Uses, Side Effects & Toxicity
Lamotrigine is a prescribed medication. In this lesson, we will learn what lamotrigine is used for as well as the side effects that may be experienced. We will learn about symptoms associated with lamotrigine toxicity too.
2. Lamotrigine: Mechanism of Action & Pharmacokinetics
Lamotrigine is used as In this lesson, we will learn about lamotrigine. Specifically, we will learn about its mechanism of action and pharmacokinetics.
3. Lamotrigine: Structure, Classification & Pharmacology
Lamotrigine is a common drug. If you are prescribed or are administering lamotrigine you need to know as much about it as possible. In this lesson, you will discover the structure, classification, and pharmacology of lamotrigine.
4. Lamotrigine: Contraindications & Drug Interactions
Fatal rashes? Is that even a thing? Find out as we go over a medication known as lamotrigine as well as some of its major contraindications and drug interactions.
5. Lamotrigine Overdose: Symptoms & Treatment
Lamotrigine is an anticonvulsant that treats seizures and can also be used in the medication of bipolar disorder. This lesson will discuss the symptoms and treatment of a lamotrigine overdose.
6. What is Topiramate? - Uses, Side Effects & Drug Class
This lesson is going to cover a medication known as topiramate. First, you'll learn about its major drug class, then its important uses, and finally potential side effects you should be on the lookout for.
7. Topiramate: Mechanism of Action & Structure
Topiramate is an anticonvulsant medication used to treat seizures. It is also used to prevent migraines. This lesson will discuss the mechanism of action and structure of topiramate.
8. Topiramate: Overdose, Withdrawal & Toxicity
Topiramate is an anticonvulsant medication used to treat seizures. It can also be taken to prevent migraines. This lesson will discuss the issues with overdose, withdrawal, and toxicity of topiramate.
9. Topiramate: Drug Interactions & Contraindications
This lesson is going to go over the contraindications and examples of topiramate. You'll also learn about some example drug interactions between this and other drugs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Pharmacology course
- History & Types of Pharmacology
- Basics of Pharmacology
- Formulas & Calculations for Pharmacology
- Dosage Analysis in Pharmacology
- Pharmacology & Physiology
- Respiratory Medications
- Endocrine System Medications
- Therapeutic Responses in Pharmacology
- Stimulants & Pharmacology
- Medicinal Herbology
- Alternative Medicine & Pharmacology
- Alternative Medicine for Digestive Issues
- Reproductive Health & Pharmacology
- Cancer, Abnormal Cells & Pharmacology
- 5-HT3 Antagonist Drugs
- Anorectic Medications
- Medications for Colds & Coughs
- Medications for Infection Control
- Understanding & Administering Doxycycline
- Overview of Antihistamines
- Understanding & Administering Loratadine
- Overview of Cholinergic Drugs
- GABA Analogue Medications
- Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
- Sodium Channel Blockers
- Understanding Steroids
- Uric Acid Reducers
- Anesthesia & Pharmacology