About This Chapter
Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
While anxiety in itself is an occasional and normal reaction to stress, anxiety disorders are a form of mental illness that can cause constant and excessive fears and worries. In this chapter, you'll be introduced to the different types of anxiety disorders, such as those associated with a fear of closed or crowded spaces, social interactions or traumatic events. Causes and symptoms of these disorders will be discussed, including typical methods of treatment. You'll also find out how unchecked anxiety disorders may lead to substance abuse or a dependency on alcohol and sedatives.
When you've finished watching the video lessons and taking the online self-assessments, you should feel comfortable discussing the following anxiety-related issues:
- Acute and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
|Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment for GAD||Discuss dependence on depressants, including alcohol, sedative-hypnotic drugs and opioids.|
|Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment||Discuss dependence on stimulants, including cocaine and amphetamines.|
|Specific and Social Phobias: Definition, Causes and Treatment||Discuss dependence on hallucinogens.|
|What is OCD? - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder||Define Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and discuss dependence on cannabis.|
|Trauma-Related Disorders: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Acute Stress Disorder||Describe how and why some people will combine substances.|
1. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
2. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment for GAD
People who suffer from generalized anxiety disorder can be totally overwhelmed with fear and worry. In this lesson, we will explore GAD and learn about the possible causes and treatments of this mental disorder.
3. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Panic disorder is a debilitating condition that is characterized by how quickly it strikes. In this lesson we will learn about the symptoms, causes and treatment of panic disorder. We will also learn about agoraphobia, a disease that often accompanies panic disorder.
4. Specific and Social Phobias: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What are the similarities and differences between specific and social phobias? This lesson will explore this question, as well as the causes of, and treatments for, both types of phobias.
5. What is OCD? - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder, better known as OCD, is a common but often misunderstood disorder. In this lesson we'll explore the obsessions and compulsions of OCD as well as causes and treatment.
6. Trauma-Related Disorders: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder & Acute Stress Disorder
A lot happens in the brain following a traumatic, life threatening event. Sometimes the brain has difficulty managing the stress and can be caught in a loop known as post-traumatic stress disorder, which will be discussed in this lesson along with acute stress disorder.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards