About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your DNA and RNA homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your DNA and RNA homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Chemical structure of nucleic acids and phosphodiester bonds
- DNA's complementary base pairings
- The double helix structure of DNA
- Differences between RNA and DNA
- Types of RNA
1. DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids & Phosphodiester Bonds
In this lesson, you'll discover what nucleotides look like and how they come together to form polynucleotides. We'll also explore nucleic acids and focus on DNA in particular.
2. DNA: Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, Thymine & Complementary Base Pairing
Learn the language of nucleotides as we look at the nitrogenous bases adenine, guanine, cytosine and thymine. Armed with this knowledge, you'll also see why DNA strands must run in opposite directions.
3. DNA: Discovery, Facts, Structure & Function in Heredity
This lesson will help you to navigate the twists and turns of DNA's structure. We'll also clue you in on the amazing discoveries that put this nucleic acid in the limelight as the molecule of heredity.
4. Differences Between RNA and DNA & Types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA & rRNA)
In this lesson, you'll explore RNA structure and learn the central dogma of molecular biology. Along the way, you'll meet the three types of RNA and see how the cell uses them most effectively.
5. Adenine: Structure, Overview
Adenine is an important building block for life. Without it, we wouldn't have DNA, RNA, or ATP. In this lesson, gain an understanding of this important molecule.
6. DNA Ligase: Definition & Role
You will learn how everything comes together at the end of DNA replication through the actions of DNA ligase. Once you think you know the lesson, then take the quiz to check your understanding.
7. DNA Sequencing: Definition, Methods & Applications
DNA sequencing allows scientists to know the exact message coded in DNA. In this lesson, we'll talk about how DNA replication is the basis for sequencing, how scientists do DNA replication in the lab, and important uses for it in research and everyday life.
8. Primase: Definition & Function
Primase is a really important part of DNA replication. In this lesson, you'll learn about DNA replication, the role primase plays in it, and why primase is necessary.
9. Sticky Ends of DNA: Definition & Concept
Different pieces of DNA can be cut and pasted together in order to make recombinant DNA. This lesson will describe how sticky ends of DNA are used to do this and will test your understanding with a quiz.
10. What are Purines? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will learn what purines are, how to distinguish them from other molecules, and why purines are so important in biological systems. A quiz at the end of the lesson will test your knowledge.
11. High-Throughput Sequencing of DNA
New sequencing methods have revolutionized the study of genomes. Find out how new technology and computer power are enhancing our understanding of genomes worldwide.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Biology: Homework Help Resource course
- AP Biology - Science Basics: Homework Help
- AP Biology - The Origin of Life on Earth: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Evolution: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Inorganic Chemistry: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Organic Chemistry: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Enzymatic Biochemistry: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Cell Biology: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Requirements of Biological Systems: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Cell Division: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Metabolic Biochemistry: Homework Help
- AP Biology - DNA Replication: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Transcription and Translation: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Genetics and Heredity: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Genetic Mutations: Homework Help
- AP Biology Homework Help: Phylogeny & Classification of Organisms
- AP Biology - Plant Biology: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Plant Reproduction and Growth: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Animal Reproduction and Development: Homework Help
- AP Biology Homework Help: Reproductive Systems
- AP Biology Homework Help: Musculoskeletal, Excretory, Digestive & Other Systems
- AP Biology Homework Help: Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- AP Biology - Ecology: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Animal Behavior: Homework Help
- AP Biology Homework Help: Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques
- AP Biology - Laboratory: Homework Help
- AP Biology - Analyzing Scientific Data: Homework Help