About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other AP biology work.
- Identify the DNA and RNA concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our AP biology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn DNA and RNA and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding nucleic acids, double helix structure, hereditary molecules or any other DNA and RNA topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their AP biology - DNA and RNA unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in AP biology
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning DNA and RNA simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live biology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn DNA and RNA on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe the structure of nucleic acid and phosphodiester bonds.
- Explain how complementary base pairing works.
- Take a look at the double helix structure of DNA.
- Discuss the differences between DNA and RNA.
1. DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids & Phosphodiester Bonds
In this lesson, you'll discover what nucleotides look like and how they come together to form polynucleotides. We'll also explore nucleic acids and focus on DNA in particular.
2. DNA: Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, Thymine & Complementary Base Pairing
Learn the language of nucleotides as we look at the nitrogenous bases adenine, guanine, cytosine and thymine. Armed with this knowledge, you'll also see why DNA strands must run in opposite directions.
3. DNA: Discovery, Facts, Structure & Function in Heredity
This lesson will help you to navigate the twists and turns of DNA's structure. We'll also clue you in on the amazing discoveries that put this nucleic acid in the limelight as the molecule of heredity.
4. Differences Between RNA and DNA & Types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA & rRNA)
In this lesson, you'll explore RNA structure and learn the central dogma of molecular biology. Along the way, you'll meet the three types of RNA and see how the cell uses them most effectively.
5. DNA Polymerase: Definition & Function
In this lesson, you will learn about the important enzyme DNA polymerase and the role it plays in the process of DNA replication. When you are through, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. Introns: Definition & Functions
Did you know that not every letter in your DNA sequence codes for a protein? In this lesson you will learn about one specific type of DNA sequence that does not code for proteins called introns.
7. Lagging Strand of DNA: Definition & Synthesis
A lagging strand is the name for one of the two DNA strands in a double helix that is undergoing replication. This lesson will explain which strand is lagging and how it is replicated.
8. RNA Polymerase II: Structure & Antibody
RNA Polymerase II plays a critical role in the process of creating RNA from DNA. In this lesson, learn about the structure and function of RNA Polymerase II.
9. Watson & Crick Model of DNA
This lesson will review the Watson & Crick model of DNA and how it applies to our understanding of genetic material. By the end you will understand what Watson and Crick discovered and explain what its structure looks like.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Biology: Tutoring Solution course
- AP Biology - Science Basics: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - The Origin of Life on Earth: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Evolution: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Inorganic Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Organic Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Enzymatic Biochemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Cell Biology: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Requirements of Biological Systems: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Cell Division: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Metabolic Biochemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - DNA Replication: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Transcription and Translation: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Genetics and Heredity: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Genetic Mutations: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Plant Biology: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Plant Reproduction and Growth: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Animal Reproduction and Development: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Anatomy and Physiology of Reproductive Systems: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Ecology: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Animal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Laboratory: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Analyzing Scientific Data: Tutoring Solution