About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other AP biology work.
- Identify the science basics concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our AP biology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn science basics and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the scientific method, experimental design, the metric system or any other science basics topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their science basics unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in AP biology
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning science basics simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live biology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn science basics on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Become familiar with science vocabulary and concepts.
- List the steps of the scientific method.
- Explain how scientific experiments are designed.
- Name the units used in the metric system.
- Learn how to convert among different types of units.
- Understand how to read scientific graphs and charts.
1. Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Learning science presents a unique set of challenges for students. In this lesson, learn the tricks of the trade as we discuss scientific vocabulary and other science study skills.
2. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
3. Experimental Design in Science: Definition & Method
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists turn hypotheses into theories and laws? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on the design of scientific experiments.
4. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
5. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
6. How to Read Scientific Graphs & Charts
How do scientists summarize their findings with visual aids? In this lesson, explore the different types of tables, charts and graphs that scientists use. Learn to read these effectively as a preview to your science studies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Biology: Tutoring Solution course
- AP Biology - The Origin of Life on Earth: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Evolution: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Inorganic Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Organic Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Enzymatic Biochemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Cell Biology: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Requirements of Biological Systems: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Cell Division: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Metabolic Biochemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - DNA and RNA: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - DNA Replication: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Transcription and Translation: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Genetics and Heredity: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Genetic Mutations: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Plant Biology: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Plant Reproduction and Growth: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Animal Reproduction and Development: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Anatomy and Physiology of Reproductive Systems: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Ecology: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Animal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Laboratory: Tutoring Solution
- AP Biology - Analyzing Scientific Data: Tutoring Solution