About This Chapter
AP Chemistry: Kinetics - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Chemical kinetics is the study of the rates of chemical processes and what factors determine those rates. In this chapter, our instructors will show you how fast chemical reactions happen and explain various theories as to why. You'll learn about rate laws, determining rate constants, and calculating activation energy. Each lesson focuses on a different aspect of kinetics, from catalysts to collision theory. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Determine the rate constants for various reactions
- Understand why reactions happen at certain rates
- Find the rate-determining step in a reaction
- Explain how various factors can affect reaction rates
|Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Modifying Factors||Learn about factors that can affect the rate of chemical reactions.|
|Rate Constant and Rate Laws||Get a look at rate laws by using experimental data to determine reaction rate constants.|
|Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Effect of Temperature||Understand how temperature can affect the rate of reaction in a chemical experiment.|
|Collision Theory||Explore this theory, based on particle concentration, that explains why reaction rates are different for various reactions.|
|Activation Energy and Catalysts||Examine the amount of energy needed for a reaction to start and how catalysts can change this.|
|Reaction Mechanisms and The Rate-Determining Step||Look at some reactions to see which step determines the overall rate of the reaction.|
|Kinetics and Equilibrium||Discover the relationship between rate constants for forward and reverse reactions and how to find the equilibrium constant.|
1. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Modifying Factors
Why are some reactions much faster than others? Is it possible to change how fast a reaction occurs? In this lesson, you will learn what the rate of a chemical reaction is. You will also discover how factors such as temperature, concentration, surface area, and catalysts impact reaction rates.
2. Rate Constant and Rate Laws
Learn what the rate law is and how the rate constant relates to it. Learn what reaction order is and how to determine reaction order when given experimental data containing concentration and reaction rate.
3. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Effect of Temperature
Learn how temperature affects reaction rates. Discover the rate law as well as how the Arrhenius equation relates to the rate law and predicts the effect of temperature on the rate of reaction.
4. Collision Theory: Definition & Significance
This lesson will define and explain collision theory and explore how it is related to chemical reactions and reaction rates. So if you've ever wondered how two particles combine to form a new product, read on!
5. Activation Energy and Catalysts
Learn how to define activation energy and how it relates to a reaction's energy. Learn what an activated complex is and where it fits into an activation energy diagram. Discover how a catalyst works to change the activation energy of a reaction and what this means to metabolism in the body.
6. Reaction Mechanisms and The Rate Determining Step
This lesson explores what a reaction mechanism is and how it relates to the speed of a reaction. You'll discover how to pinpoint the rate-determining step and learn how to write a rate law based on the rate-determining step.
7. Chemical Kinetics, Reaction Rate Constant & Equilibrium Constant
Are formulas, rate constants, and chemical reactions getting you down? Don't worry, this lesson will explain how reaction rate and equilibrium constants are related to chemical reactions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Chemistry: Exam Prep course
- AP Chemistry: Experimental Laboratory Chemistry
- AP Chemistry: Properties of Matter
- AP Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- AP Chemistry: The Periodic Table of Elements
- AP Chemistry: Nuclear Chemistry
- AP Chemistry: Bonding
- AP Chemistry: Phase Changes for Liquids and Solids
- AP Chemistry: Gases
- AP Chemistry: Solutions
- AP Chemistry: Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations
- AP Chemistry: Acids, Bases and Chemical Reactions
- AP Chemistry: Equilibrium
- AP Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- AP Chemistry: Organic Chemistry
- Portions of the AP Chemistry Exam
- AP Chemistry Flashcards