About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other AP chemistry work.
- Identify the properties of matter concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our AP chemistry tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn properties of matter and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding physical and chemical properties of matter, chromatography, filtration, titration, Beer's Law or any other properties of matter topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their properties of matter unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in AP chemistry
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning properties of matter simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live AP chemistry tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn properties of matter on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe the physical and chemical properties of matter.
- Identify the different states of matter.
- Explore the different methods for separating mixtures.
- Understand how to use titration to determine the concentration of an unknown acid or base.
- Use Beer's law to determine the relationship between absorbance and concentration.
1. Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
How are substances identified? There are two major ways we can describe a substance: physical properties and chemical properties. Learn about how chemists use properties to classify matter as either a mixture or a pure substance.
2. States of Matter and Chemical Versus Physical Changes to Matter
The world around us is constantly changing. Chemists put those changes into two main categories: physical changes and chemical changes. This lesson will define and provide examples of each.
3. Chromatography, Distillation and Filtration: Methods of Separating Mixtures
What are some ways that mixtures can be separated? Watch this video to explore several examples of ways you can separate a mixture into its individual components.
4. Beer's Law: Absorbance & Concentration
Beer's Law relates the absorbency of a substance to its chemical concentration. In this lesson, we'll review light transmittance and absorbance and how Beer's Law is used to determine chemical concentrations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Chemistry: Tutoring Solution course
- AP Chemistry: Experimental Laboratory Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Atomic Structure: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: The Periodic Table of Elements: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Nuclear Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Bonding: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Phase Changes for Liquids and Solids: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Gases: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Solutions: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Acids, Bases and Chemical Reactions: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Equilibrium: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Kinetics: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Thermodynamics: Tutoring Solution
- AP Chemistry: Organic Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Portions of the AP Chemistry Exam: Tutoring Solution