About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding AP English literature material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the narrative essay or working with the informative essay.
- Need an efficient way to learn about the different types of essays.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra English learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Essay Basics - Types of Essays chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Essay Basics - Types of Essays chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What are the key features of a narrative essay?
- How can certain components and techniques contribute to a descriptive essay?
- What are the different formats used to organize an informative essay?
- How can an evaluative essay help a writer express and support an opinion?
1. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
2. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
3. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
4. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
5. What is Persuasive Text? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will teach you how to identify all components of persuasive writing. You'll learn more about informational texts and test your understanding through a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP English Literature: Help and Review course
- AP English - Literary Analysis Intro: Help and Review
- AP English - Interpreting Literature: Help and Review
- Rhetorical Devices in AP English: Help and Review
- Types of Fiction
- Types of Nonfiction
- AP English - Types of Poetry: Help and Review
- AP English - Prose: Help and Review
- AP English - American Literary Periods and Movements: Help and Review
- AP English - Examples of American Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- AP English - English Literary Periods and Movements: Help and Review
- AP English - Examples of English Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- Grammar Review in AP English: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Conventions for AP English: Help & Review
- Beginning the Writing Process in AP English: Help and Review
- Writing & Structuring an Essay in AP English: Help and Review
- Writing Revision and Skill Development in AP English: Help and Review
- Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking
- About the AP English Literature Test