About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other AP English literature work.
- Identify the types of essays concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our AP English literature tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the different types of essays and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding informative, descriptive, narrative or evaluative essays, or any other types of essay topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their essay types unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in AP English literature
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning essay basics and essay types simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn essay types on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Identify the characteristics of narrative and descriptive essays.
- Discover how to write informative, evaluative and persuasive essays.
- Learn the importance of perspective and storytelling.
- Utilize the five senses when you're writing.
- Discover the use of 'compare and contrast' in your essays.
1. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
2. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
3. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
4. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP English Literature: Tutoring Solution course
- AP English - Literary Analysis Intro: Tutoring Solution
- AP English - Interpreting Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Rhetorical Devices in AP English: Tutoring Solution
- AP English - Poetry: Tutoring Solution
- AP English - Types of Poetry: Tutoring Solution
- AP English - Prose: Tutoring Solution
- AP English - Prose Fiction: Tutoring Solution
- AP English - American Literary Periods and Movements: Tutoring Solution
- AP English - Examples of American Literary Analysis: Tutoring Solution
- AP English - English Literary Periods and Movements: Tutoring Solution
- AP English - Examples of English Literary Analysis: Tutoring Solution
- Grammar Review in AP English: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics in AP English - Conventions in Essay Writing: Tutoring Solution
- Beginning the Writing Process in AP English: Tutoring Solution
- Writing & Structuring an Essay in AP English: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Revision and Skill Development in AP English: Tutoring Solution
- About the AP English Literature Test