About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your biological science homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your biological science homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Species richness
- Ecosystems of oceans and freshwater
- Ecosystems of rainforests and temperate forests
- Desert ecosystems
- Differences between endangered and threatened species
- Pollution and habitat destruction
- Effects of invasive species
- Ecology restoration
1. Species Richness: Definition & Determining Factors
In this lesson, you'll learn what species richness is and what factors can influence the index of species richness. You'll also discover why it is an important index to measure in terms of conservation.
2. Ecosystems of Oceans and Freshwater: Biological Diversity and Water
In this lesson, you'll learn about the biodiversity of ecosystems based on water. You will discover that marine, freshwater and a mixture of salt and freshwater create very different ecosystems, which in turn influence the amount of biodiversity that is found in these habitats.
3. Biological Diversity and the Forest: Ecosystems of the Rainforests and Temperate Forests
In this lesson, you'll learn about three main types of forests found on earth: coniferous, deciduous and tropical rainforests. You'll also discover how the ecosystems where these trees are located affect the biodiversity within them.
4. Desert Ecosystems: How Biodiversity Impacts Hot and Cold Deserts
In this lesson, you'll learn about the biodiversity that makes up a desert ecosystem. You will discover what makes a desert a desert and study the different plant and animal life that inhabit both hot and cold deserts.
5. What Is Extinction? - Defining Background and Mass Extinction
In this lesson you'll discover what the term 'extinction' means as well as learn the two different types of extinction: mass extinction and background extinction. You will also discover how humans contribute to extinction events.
6. Differences Between Endangered Species and Threatened Species
In this lesson you'll learn about two terms that describe species with very low population numbers: threatened and endangered. You'll discover why species numbers decline and how we can keep the species that are threatened or endangered from going extinct.
7. Pollution and Habitat Destruction: The Human Factors Contributing To Endangerment & Extinction
In this lesson you will learn about two ways humans contribute to species extinction. We break up habitats by building roads and clearing land, and we pollute both land and water. You will also learn about the specific terms used to describe the processes, habitat fragmentation and anthropogenic pollution.
8. What Is an Invasive Species? - Definition, List & Effects
This lesson focuses on a group of organisms called invasive species. You'll learn what makes a species invasive and see some examples of invasive species. You'll also discover why invasive species are considered a problem and explore the impacts they have on the environment, the economy and on humans.
9. Over-Exploitation: How Humans Affect Ecosystems By Decreasing Species Populations
In this lesson, you'll learn how humans overexploit or overharvest species. You will discover the primary way in which humans are responsible for overfishing. You will also learn about how this negatively impacts ecosystems.
10. What Is Conservation Biology? - Definition & Principles
Conservation biology aims to reduce the human impact on the environment by looking for the causes and possible solutions to these problems. In this lesson, you'll learn about conservation biology and the different types of conservation.
11. Ecology Restoration: Foundations, Projects and Goals
In this lesson you will learn how humans have damaged various ecosystems on the planet and how a branch of ecology, restoration ecology, aims to restore these ecosystems. You will discover the main goal of restoration ecology as well as some of the ways habitats are restored.
12. The Endangered Species Act & The World Conservation Strategy: Goals & Purposes
In this lesson, you will learn about the Endangered Species Act, an environmental law that protects endangered species. You will also discover how the ESA works and how species are protected under it. Finally, you will learn how a World Conservation Strategy can help endangered and threatened species worldwide.
13. Systematics: Definition & History
In this lesson we will explore the biological term 'systematics'; what it means, what purpose it serves in understanding the world around us, and the historical development of this key scientific tool.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to AP Environmental Science: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Geologic Time: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Plate Tectonics: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Earthquakes: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Volcanoes: Homework Help
- AP Science Homework Help - the Environment and Atmosphere
- AP Environmental Science - Weather and Storms: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Water Balance: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Running Water: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Ground Water: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Glaciers: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Oceans: Homework Help
- Water Issues in AP Environmental Science: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Minerals, Rocks & Soil: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Ecosystems: Homework Help
- AP Science Homework Help: Interaction Among Organisms in the Ecosystem
- AP Environmental Science - Evolving Ecosystems: Homework Help
- AP Science Homework Help: Population & the Environment
- AP Science - Food & Agricultural Resource: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Land Use: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Mining & Fishing: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Energy Concepts: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Renewable Resources: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Nonrenewable Resources: Homework Help
- AP Science - Hazardous and Solid Waste: Homework Help
- AP Science Homework Help: Human Impact on the Environment
- Environmental Sustainability: Homework Help for AP Science
- Environmental Risk Analysis: Homework Help for AP Science
- AP Science Homework Help: Global Environmental Economics
- Environmental Politics & Ethics in AP Science: Homework Help