About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering AP environmental science material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn AP environmental science. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding energy conservation or energy efficiency
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about renewable resources
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Renewable Resources chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Renewable Resources chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any renewable resources question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a renewable resources unit of a standard AP environmental science course. Topics covered include:
- Solar, wind, geothermal and tidal energies
- Biomass for renewable energy
- Energy conservation and energy efficiency
- Types of solar panels
- Active and passive solar heating
- Energy conservation at home
1. What is Solar Energy? - Definition, Pros & Cons
Learn about solar energy and how charged particles from the sun travel to Earth to provide heat and light. Explore solar energy as a direct and indirect energy source and examine the pros and cons of harvesting solar energy for other uses.
2. What Are Solar Panels? - Photovoltaic Solar Cells and Solar Thermal Electric Generation
How do devices take advantage of the sun's abundant energy? Learn about photovoltaic solar cells and solar thermal electric generation and how these technologies can be used to convert solar energy into heat and electricity.
3. Biomass for Renewable Energy: Pros and Cons
Biomass is organic material that can be used to generate heat, electricity, and even fuel. In this lesson, you will learn about the advantages of this abundant and renewable energy source as well as the disadvantages.
4. Wind Energy: Pros and Cons
Wind energy is a renewable form of energy that involves harnessing the natural energy of the wind. Learn how wind is used to generate electricity and the pros and cons of this energy source.
5. Hydropower: Pros and Cons
Hydropower is power generated from moving water. Learn how this energy from water can be harnessed by hydropower plants to generate electricity as well as the pros and cons of this renewable energy source.
6. Geothermal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
Geothermal energy is heat energy that is stored within the earth. Learn the methods being used to tap into this thermal energy to heat buildings and generate electricity as well as the advantages and disadvantages of this renewable energy source.
7. Tidal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
The tides move a massive amount of water, and the energy from this moving water, known as tidal energy, can be captured and converted into electricity. Learn how tidal energy works and the advantages and disadvantages of this energy source.
8. Energy Conservation and Energy Efficiency: Examples and Differences
Saving energy is an important topic, but energy conservation and energy efficiency are not the same thing. Learn what the difference is and some examples of both energy conservation and energy efficiency.
9. Conserving Energy at Home: How to Be More Energy Efficient
Are you wondering how to make your home more energy efficient? Follow these measures to conserve energy, prevent energy loss, and make your home more comfortable, all while saving money.
10. Solar Energy: Understanding Active and Passive Solar Heating
Solar energy is the energy we harness from the sun. We can use this energy to heat our homes. Learn about the design elements needed for passive solar heating and the equipment needed for active solar heating.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science: Help and Review course
- Introduction to AP Environmental Science: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Geologic Time: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Plate Tectonics: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Earthquakes: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Volcanoes: Help and Review
- AP Science - The Atmosphere & Environment: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science - Weather and Storms: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Water Balance: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Running Water: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Ground Water: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Glaciers: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Oceans: Help and Review
- AP Science Help & Review: Water Issues & Water Conservation
- AP Environmental Science - Minerals, Rocks & Soil: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Ecosystems: Help and Review
- AP Science - Interaction Among Organisms: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science - Evolving Ecosystems: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Biological Science: Help and Review
- AP Science - Population and the Environment: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science Agricultural Resources: Help & Review
- AP Science - Rangelands & Forestry: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science - Mining & Fishing: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Energy Concepts: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Nonrenewable Resources: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Solid and Hazardous Waste: Help and Review
- AP Science - Humans & the Environment: Help & Review
- Environmental Sustainability: Help & Review for AP Science
- Environmental Risk Analysis: Help & Review for AP Science
- AP Science - Environmental Economics: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science Help & Review: Ethics & Politics