About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering AP environmental science material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn the subject. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the various types of volcanoes or working with volcanic eruptions
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about volcanoes
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Volcanoes chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Volcanoes chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any volcanoes question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any Web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a Volcanoes unit of a standard AP Environmental Science course. Topics covered include:
- Shield, cinder cones and composite cones
- Volcanic eruption
- Volcanic landforms
- Lava flow, pyroclastic flow, pyroclastic surge and tephra
- Volcanic hazards and prevention
1. What is a Volcano? - Definition & Eruptions
Volcanoes are vents that allow lava, rock fragments and gases to escape from layers beneath the earth's surface. Learn how volcanoes form both on land and underwater and why they erupt.
2. Types of Volcanoes: Shield, Cinder Cones & Composite Cones
The earth ejects lava, rock fragments, hot vapor and gases during volcanic eruptions. Volcanoes vary based on size, shape, composition and eruptive style. Learn about the different types of volcanoes, such as shield, cinder cone and composite cone.
3. Volcanic Eruption: Gases Released & Their Effects
Volcanic eruptions emit water vapor and toxic gases into the atmosphere. Learn about the gases emitted from an erupting volcano, such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, hydrochloric acid and carbon monoxide and their effects in this video lesson.
4. The Flow of Pyroclastic Materials
A pyroclastic flow is the flow of volcanic ash, gases and fragments following a volcanic eruption. Learn about the types of pyroclastic flows and the materials that make them up and contribute to their fluid nature.
5. Volcanic Landforms: Types & Formation
Volcanic eruptions pull materials up from deep within the earth to form various volcanic landforms, such as lava domes, lava plateaus, fissure eruptions, craters and calderas. Learn about these volcanic landforms and how they are created.
6. Lava Flow, Pyroclastic Flow, Pyroclastic Surge & Tephra: Preventing Volcanic Hazards
Volcanic hazards are any type of volcanic process that leads to destruction or threatens life. Learn about specific volcanic hazards including lava flows, pyroclastic flows, pyroclastic surges and tephra and measures used to prevent or reduce damage
7. Volcanic Hazards & Prevention: Landslides, Lahars & Tsunamis
Volcanic hazards are any volcanic process that can damage property or threaten life. Learn about volcanic hazards, such as landslides that can trigger lahars and tsunamis, and ways to prevent these hazards from threatening people's lives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science: Help and Review course
- Introduction to AP Environmental Science: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Geologic Time: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Plate Tectonics: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Earthquakes: Help and Review
- AP Science - The Atmosphere & Environment: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science - Weather and Storms: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Water Balance: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Running Water: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Ground Water: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Glaciers: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Oceans: Help and Review
- AP Science Help & Review: Water Issues & Water Conservation
- AP Environmental Science - Minerals, Rocks & Soil: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Ecosystems: Help and Review
- AP Science - Interaction Among Organisms: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science - Evolving Ecosystems: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Biological Science: Help and Review
- AP Science - Population and the Environment: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science Agricultural Resources: Help & Review
- AP Science - Rangelands & Forestry: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science - Mining & Fishing: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Energy Concepts: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Renewable Resources: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Nonrenewable Resources: Help and Review
- AP Environmental Science - Solid and Hazardous Waste: Help and Review
- AP Science - Humans & the Environment: Help & Review
- Environmental Sustainability: Help & Review for AP Science
- Environmental Risk Analysis: Help & Review for AP Science
- AP Science - Environmental Economics: Help & Review
- AP Environmental Science Help & Review: Ethics & Politics