About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your weather and storms homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your weather and storms homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Difference between weather and climate
- Factors that affect wind
- Weather variables
- General circulation of the atmosphere
- Types of air masses and their effects on weather
- Effects of weather fronts on weather
- Causes of tornadoes
- Formation of thunderstorms
- Formation of hurricanes
- The relationship between El Nino and La Nina
1. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
2. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
3. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
4. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
5. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
6. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
7. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
8. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
9. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
10. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
11. The Relationship Between El Nino & La Nina
In this video lesson, you will learn about El Niño and La Niña. You will understand the differences between them, as well as some of their effects on both ocean waters and weather patterns on land.
12. What Are Floods? - Causes, Types & Prevention
In this video lesson, you will study floods, their causes and their effects. You will learn to identify various methods that are used to prevent floods and explore how preventing natural flood cycles can lead to dangerous flood events.
13. The Coriolis Effect: Definition & Influences
In this lesson, we'll be looking at the Coriolis Effect: what it is and how it influences the way we perceive the movement of objects while here on Earth. When you're done, you'll be able to test your newfound knowledge with a quiz.
14. What is Wind? - Definition, Causes, Properties & Characteristics
Wind is an important phenomenon that we have all experienced. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the definition, its causes, and characteristics. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
15. History of Hurricanes in Florida
Hurricanes are major natural disasters, and few states have had to deal with them as consistently as Florida. In this lesson, we'll look at some of Florida's worst hurricanes, and see what those meant for the state.
16. Why Does It Rain?
In this lesson we'll learn the main causes of rain, including why low pressure systems bring stormy weather and how collisions of warm and cold air influence rainfall. Then, we'll look at the impact of geological structures on rainfall.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to AP Environmental Science: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Geologic Time: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Plate Tectonics: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Earthquakes: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Volcanoes: Homework Help
- AP Science Homework Help - the Environment and Atmosphere
- AP Environmental Science - Water Balance: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Running Water: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Ground Water: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Glaciers: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Oceans: Homework Help
- Water Issues in AP Environmental Science: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Minerals, Rocks & Soil: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Ecosystems: Homework Help
- AP Science Homework Help: Interaction Among Organisms in the Ecosystem
- AP Environmental Science - Evolving Ecosystems: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Biological Science: Homework Help
- AP Science Homework Help: Population & the Environment
- AP Science - Food & Agricultural Resource: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Land Use: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Mining & Fishing: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Energy Concepts: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Renewable Resources: Homework Help
- AP Environmental Science - Nonrenewable Resources: Homework Help
- AP Science - Hazardous and Solid Waste: Homework Help
- AP Science Homework Help: Human Impact on the Environment
- Environmental Sustainability: Homework Help for AP Science
- Environmental Risk Analysis: Homework Help for AP Science
- AP Science Homework Help: Global Environmental Economics
- Environmental Politics & Ethics in AP Science: Homework Help