About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering European history material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn European history. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding European cooperation after the Cold War or European Union expansion
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning history (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about Europe after the Soviet Union
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra history learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the After the Soviet Union chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the After the Soviet Union chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any After the Soviet Union question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an After the Soviet Union unit of a standard AP European history course. Topics covered include:
- Gorbachev's Glasnost and Perestroika policies
- Treaties of post-Cold War European cooperation
- A timeline of European Union expansion
- Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's impact on Great Britain
- History of the building and tearing down of the Berlin Wall
- Reunification of East and West Germany in 1990
- The Warsaw Pact and the collapse of the communist BLOC
- Events that ended communism in Eastern Europe
- Yeltsin and the new Russian Republic
- A timeline of ethnic warfare in former Yugoslavia
- Bolsheviks and their leader
1. Post-Cold War European Cooperation: Institutions & Treaties
In this lesson, we explore the increasing cooperation between European states during the Cold War years and beyond, from a six-nation agreement concerning coal and steel to a far-reaching agreement binding most of Europe.
2. European Union Expansion: Events & Timelines
In this lesson, we briefly explore the piecemeal formation of the EU and discuss the nature of the Union today and its role as the political authority for most of Europe.
3. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher: Influence and Impact on Great Britain
In this lesson, we explore the life and political career of Great Britain's first female prime minister, Margaret Thatcher. A staunch conservative, her controversial policies guided Britain through one of its toughest economic times.
4. Building and Tearing Down the Berlin Wall: History and Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the history of the Berlin Wall, from its beginnings as a makeshift barrier between East and West Berlin, to its final demise as communism fell across Eastern Europe in the late 1980s.
5. The Reunification of East and West Germany in 1990
In this lesson we explore the unique history of East and West Germany after Germany's defeat in WWII and the conditions surrounding its eventual reunification in 1990.
6. The Collapse of the Communist BLOC and the Warsaw Pact
In this lesson, we explore the fall and breakup of the Warsaw Pact and Eastern Bloc of communist countries allied with, and client states of, the Soviet Union from after World War II until the late 1980s and early 1990s.
7. The End of Communism in Eastern Europe: Events and Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the immediate aftermath of the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the fall of communism in Eastern Europe, where both political structures and economic models were left in limbo.
8. Gorbachev's Policies of Glasnost and Perestroika: Explanation and Significance
In this lesson, we will examine Mikhail Gorbachev's reform policies of glasnost and perestroika. We will learn what led to these developments and see how they impacted the Soviet Union.
9. Yeltsin and the New Russian Republic: History and Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the fall of the Soviet Union and the reemergence of Russia and the subsequent presidency of Russia's first president, Boris Yeltsin.
10. Ethnic Warfare in Former Yugoslavia: Events and Timeline
In this lesson we explore the breakup of the formerly communist state in the Balkans, Yugoslavia. In the 1990s, several Yugoslav states declared independence from the Serbian-dominated central government.
11. Bolsheviks: Definition & Leader
Words matter and have the power to change millions of lives and the world. The history of the word 'Bolshevik' and the man behind it proves this. Read on to find out how one word and one man influenced so much in the case of the Bolsheviks and their leader, Lenin.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Help and Review course
- AP European History - Overview of the Renaissance: Help and Review
- AP European History - Renaissance Philosophy: Help & Review
- AP European History - Reformation Roots & Teachings: Help and Review
- AP History - The Reformation Across Europe: Help & Review
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Age of Expansion: Help and Review
- How Monarchical Nation States Developed: Help and Review
- AP European History - English History (1450-1700): Help and Review
- AP History - Scientific Revolution & Enlightenment: Help & Review
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Help and Review
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Napoleonic Empire: Help and Review
- AP European History - Western Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - Central Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - First Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- AP European History - Second Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- Nation States Unification in the 19th Century: Help & Review
- AP European History - Europe 1871-1914: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - Russia After World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War II: Help and Review
- AP European History - Post-war Europe: Help and Review
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Help and Review
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Writing a Good Essay on the AP European History Exam
- AP European History Exam Essay: Help & Review