About This Chapter
Integration: Europe after the Soviet Union - Chapter Summary and Lesson Objectives
The Soviet Union, formed after the Russian Revolution of 1917, included many republics ruled by the Community Party. After involvement in World War II as an Allied power and an increased period of tension with the United States - known as the Cold War - the Soviet Union began to disintegrate. In this chapter, you'll learn all about the politics of the period after the Cold War, including how the dissolution of the communist state affected the rest of Europe. Our instructor will take you through all the details of this complicated time period. After completing this chapter, you should understand:
- How the Soviet Union was dissolved and the countries that formed after it
- The impact of the fall of the Berlin Wall
- How European countries were impacted by Soviet politics
- The glasnost and perestroika policies of Gorbachev
|Increasing European Cooperation Post-Cold War: Institutions and Treaties||Understand the growth of overarching European institutions during the Cold War and how various treaties after the war increased cooperation.|
|Expanding the European Union Today and Beyond: Events and Timeline||Take a look at the formation of the European Union and explore the parameters of its authority.|
|Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher: Influence on Great Britain||Learn about the Thatcher administration in Great Britain and the impact that a female prime minister had on the country.|
|Building and Tearing Down the Berlin Wall: History and Timeline||Examine the history of Berlin during the Cold War through the end of the Berlin Wall.|
|The Reunification of East and West Germany in 1990||Understand the process of reunification that look place in Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall.|
|The Collapse of the Communist Bloc and the Warsaw Pact||Learn about the end of the Soviet Union and the independence movement in Warsaw Pact countries.|
|The End of Communism in Eastern Europe: Events and Timeline||Take a look at the end of communism in Eastern Europe and the political reforms in formerly Soviet states.|
|Gorbachev's Policies of Glasnost and Perestroika: Explanation and Significance||Examine Soviet Union President Gorbachev's policies of government openness and restructuring in 1985.|
|Yeltsin and the New Russian Republic: History and Timeline||Learn about the presidency of Boris Yeltsin and the formation of modern-day Russia in the 1990s.|
|Ethnic Warfare in Former Yugoslavia: Events and Timeline||Understand this conflict of the 1990s and the ethnic genocide perpetrated by Serbia.|
1. Post-Cold War European Cooperation: Institutions & Treaties
In this lesson, we explore the increasing cooperation between European states during the Cold War years and beyond, from a six-nation agreement concerning coal and steel to a far-reaching agreement binding most of Europe.
2. European Union Expansion: Events & Timelines
In this lesson, we briefly explore the piecemeal formation of the EU and discuss the nature of the Union today and its role as the political authority for most of Europe.
3. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher: Influence and Impact on Great Britain
In this lesson, we explore the life and political career of Great Britain's first female prime minister, Margaret Thatcher. A staunch conservative, her controversial policies guided Britain through one of its toughest economic times.
4. The Collapse of the Communist BLOC and the Warsaw Pact
In this lesson, we explore the fall and breakup of the Warsaw Pact and Eastern Bloc of communist countries allied with, and client states of, the Soviet Union from after World War II until the late 1980s and early 1990s.
5. The Reunification of East and West Germany in 1990
In this lesson we explore the unique history of East and West Germany after Germany's defeat in WWII and the conditions surrounding its eventual reunification in 1990.
6. Building and Tearing Down the Berlin Wall: History and Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the history of the Berlin Wall, from its beginnings as a makeshift barrier between East and West Berlin, to its final demise as communism fell across Eastern Europe in the late 1980s.
7. The End of Communism in Eastern Europe: Events and Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the immediate aftermath of the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the fall of communism in Eastern Europe, where both political structures and economic models were left in limbo.
8. Gorbachev's Policies of Glasnost and Perestroika: Explanation and Significance
In this lesson, we will examine Mikhail Gorbachev's reform policies of glasnost and perestroika. We will learn what led to these developments and see how they impacted the Soviet Union.
9. Yeltsin and the New Russian Republic: History and Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the fall of the Soviet Union and the reemergence of Russia and the subsequent presidency of Russia's first president, Boris Yeltsin.
10. Ethnic Warfare in Former Yugoslavia: Events and Timeline
In this lesson we explore the breakup of the formerly communist state in the Balkans, Yugoslavia. In the 1990s, several Yugoslav states declared independence from the Serbian-dominated central government.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Exam Prep course
- AP European History: Overview of the Renaissance
- AP European History: Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature
- AP European History: Reformation Roots & Teachings
- AP European History: The Reformation's Effects Across Europe
- AP European History: Wars of Religion
- AP European History: The Age of Expansion
- AP European History: The Rise of Monarchical Nation States
- AP European History: English History (1450-1700)
- AP European History: The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment
- AP European History: 18th Century Powers
- AP European History: The French Revolution
- AP European History: The Napoleonic Empire
- AP European History: 19th Century Revolutionary Movements
- AP European History: The First Industrial Revolution
- AP European History: Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century
- AP European History: Europe 1871-1914
- AP European History: World War I
- AP European History: Russia After World War I
- AP European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- AP European History: The Rise of Fascism
- AP European History: World War II
- AP European History: Post-War Europe
- AP European History: Cold War Europe
- Portions of the AP European History Exam
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP Exam
- Developing and Writing Your AP Exam Essay
- AP European History Flashcards