About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your Reformation roots and teachings homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your Reformation roots and teachings homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- The decline of Latin and rise of vernacular
- Catholic Church's practices and beliefs before the Reformation
- Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation
- Reformation's effect on art
- Radical Reformation
- Reformation Christianity and the traditional Catholic Church
1. The Rise of the Vernacular and the Decline of Latin
At the height of the Roman Empire, Latin was spread throughout Europe until the fall of the Roman Empire. Learn about the Roman Empire's role in spreading Latin throughout Europe, the introduction of vernacular languages and romance languages, and why Latin began to decline during the Dark Ages.
2. The Catholic Church Before the Reformation: Beliefs and Practices
Prior to the Protestant Reformation in the year 1500, the Roman Catholic Church dominated the beliefs and practices of the vast majority of Christians. Explore how the Catholic Church exerted its dominance over the followers of Jesus Christ.
3. Martin Luther, the 95 Theses and the Birth of the Protestant Reformation
In 1517, Martin Luther, who believed salvation could not be purchased from the Catholic Church, but rather was earned by faith alone, published his '95 Theses' explaining why. Explore Luther's challenge to the Holy Roman Empire and the subsequent establishment of his own church in 1526.
4. Art in the Protestant Reformation: Albrecht Durer & Northern European Artists
Inspired by Martin Luther, the Protestant Reformation challenged the authority of the Catholic Church. Explore how artists like Albrecht Durer, Albrecht Altdorfer, and Pieter Bruegel the Elder illustrated the passions of the Protestant Reformation with some of history's greatest works.
5. Radical Reformation: Anabaptists and Antitrinitarians
In this lesson, we will study a few of the Christian sects that took the Reformation to extremes. We will focus especially on the origins, development, and doctrines of the Anabaptists and Antitrinitarians.
6. Ulrich Zwingli and John Calvin: History, Importance & Impact
In this lesson, we will meet two famous Reformation leaders, Ulrich Zwingli and John Calvin. We will examine their lives and their doctrines, and explore their impact on Christianity.
7. The Reformers & the Catholic Church: How Religious Beliefs Transformed During the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation challenged the Catholic Church's beliefs and positions. Learn about the Reformers and their relationship to the Catholic Church. Explore Protestant beliefs and understand how religious beliefs transformed during the Reformation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Homework Help Resource course
- AP European History - Overview of the Renaissance: Homework Help
- AP History Homework Help: Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature
- AP History Homework Help: Europe During the Reformation
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Homework Help
- AP European History - The Age of Expansion: Homework Help
- The Rise of Monarchical Nation States: Homework Help
- AP European History - English History (1450-1700): Homework Help
- AP History Homework Help: Enlightenment & Scientific Revolution
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Homework Help
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Homework Help
- AP European History - The Napoleonic Empire: Homework Help
- AP History Homework Help: 19th Century Revolutionary Movements
- AP History Homework Help: The First Industrial Revolution
- AP History Homework Help: Nation States in the 19th Century
- AP European History - Europe 1871-1914: Homework Help
- AP European History - World War I: Homework Help
- AP European History - Russia After World War I: Homework Help
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Homework Help
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Homework Help
- AP European History - World War II: Homework Help
- AP European History - Post-war Europe: Homework Help
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Homework Help
- AP History Homework Help: Europe After the Soviet Union
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Homework Help
- Essay Writing on the AP European History Exam: Homework Help
- Completing Your AP European History Exam Essay: Homework Help