About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other AP European History work.
- Identify the Reformation roots and teachings concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our AP European history tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the Reformation's roots and teachings and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the rise of the vernacular, the teachings of the Catholic Church before the Reformation, Martin Luther's 95 Theses, radical Reformation or any other Reformation roots and teachings topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their history learning
- Prefer learning history visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their Reformation roots and teachings unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in AP European History
- Don't have access to their history teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about Reformation roots and teachings simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live European history tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about Reformation roots and teachings on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how the vernacular rose in popularity and how the use of Latin declined.
- Discuss the beliefs and practices of the Catholic Church before the Reformation.
- Explain how Martin Luther's 95 theses led to the Protestant Reformation.
- Describe the characteristics of art created during the Reformation.
- Take a look at the radical reformation of the Anabaptists and Antitrinitarians.
- Understand the impact John Calvin and Ulrich Zwingli had on Christianity.
- Compare and contrast traditional Catholicism and Reformation Christianity.
1. The Rise of the Vernacular and the Decline of Latin
This lesson explains how Latin was widespread in Europe during the Roman Empire as well as how vernacular languages slowly replaced it. It also reviews how the Romance languages developed.
2. The Catholic Church Before the Reformation: Beliefs and Practices
In 1500 C.E. the Roman Catholic Church was a very powerful institution in the West. Watch this video to learn how the Church maintained its power by teaching that salvation could only be earned by those who received the sacraments and performed good works.
3. Martin Luther, the 95 Theses and the Birth of the Protestant Reformation
This lesson covers the start of the Protestant Reformation. It begins by comparing the vast array and peacefulness of Christian denominations in modern days to the limited choices and violence of the past. Then it goes into the story of Martin Luther, from his 95 Theses through the Diet of Worms up to the beginning of the German Peasant Revolt.
4. Art in the Protestant Reformation: Albrecht Durer & Northern European Artists
The Protestant Reformation introduced some pretty substantial changes into European society. In this lesson, we'll be talking about some of the impacts it had on the art of Northern Europe.
5. Radical Reformation: Anabaptists and Antitrinitarians
In this lesson, we will study a few of the Christian sects that took the Reformation to extremes. We will focus especially on the origins, development, and doctrines of the Anabaptists and Antitrinitarians.
6. Ulrich Zwingli and John Calvin: History, Importance & Impact
In this lesson, we will meet two famous Reformation leaders, Ulrich Zwingli and John Calvin. We will examine their lives and their doctrines, and explore their impact on Christianity.
7. The Reformers & the Catholic Church: How Religious Beliefs Transformed During the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation challenged the beliefs of the Catholic Church. This lesson explores some of the differing beliefs among Protestant and Catholic reformers.
8. Lady Jane Grey: Execution, History & Facts
Explore the life and death of Lady Jane Grey, monarch of England, and test your understanding about English history, religious politics, and the complex world of 16th century monarchies.
9. St. Francis of Assisi: Biography, Prayer & Feast Day
Explore the life of St. Francis of Assisi and test your knowledge about his role in the history of Catholicism and how his life has been venerated by the Church.
10. The Tudor Dynasty: Family Tree & Timeline
Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived. Such were the fates of Henry VIII's six wives. His marriages and children shaped the course of the Tudor dynasty.
11. Thomas Cromwell: Facts & Execution
Learn about the English Reformation promoter Thomas Cromwell and how he gained King Henry VIII's favor and disfavor, leading to his execution at Tower Hill.
12. Thomas Wolsey: Biography, Facts & Death
Meet Thomas Wolsey, an intelligent clergyman who rose from a middle class background to be the Lord Chancellor of England. Explore Wolsey's rise to power and witness his fall from grace.
13. Tithes: Definition & Types
Nearly everyone in the U.S. pays taxes to the government, but what about a tax to his church or temple? This lesson explains the purpose and types of tithes found in the Old Testament of the Bible.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Tutoring Solution course
- AP European History - Overview of the Renaissance: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Reformation's Effects Across Europe: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Age of Expansion: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Rise of Monarchical Nation States: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - English History (1450-1700): Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Napoleonic Empire: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - 19th Century Revolutionary Movements: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The First Industrial Revolution: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Europe 1871-1914: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - World War I: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Russia After World War I: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - World War II: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Post-war Europe: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Integration - Europe after the Soviet Union: Tutoring Solution
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Tutoring Solution
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP European History Exam: Tutoring Solution
- Developing and Writing Your AP European History Exam Essay: Tutoring Solution