About This Chapter
AP European History: Russia After World War I - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Examine the period in Russia's political history when its tsarist autocracy was replaced by Communism. Instructors help you identify grievances against Tsar Nicholas II as well as events leading to his eventual abdication. You can also learn how Lenin's attempts to implement Marxist ideals devolved into a dictatorship controlled by Stalin's secret police and political prisons. Watch the video lessons in this chapter to learn about the following:
- Turning points in the Russian Revolution
- The Bolsheviks' rise to power
- Characteristics of Stalin's totalitarian regime
|The Russian Revolution: Timeline, Causes & Effects||Study the social unrest and revolution leading to the establishment of a communist government in Russia.|
|Provisional Government in Russia: Overview, Politics & Post-Revolution Chaos||Describe the new set of political and economic troubles ushered in by World War I. Examine the outcomes of the February Revolution.|
|The Bolsheviks' Triumph: Battles, Events & the Shift of Power||Learn how this political faction seized power from the provisional government during the last stages of the revolution.|
|The Rise of Communism & Vladimir Lenin||Examine Lenin's attempts to institute Marxist ideals into the Soviet Union's newly formed communist government.|
|The Soviet Union Under Stalin: Five-Year Plans, Purges & Policies||Learn how Stalin defeated his political rivals and gained control of Russia. Explore the brutal economic and industrial policies implemented during his totalitarian regime.|
1. The Russian Revolution: Timeline, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we will examine the Russian Revolution. We will see what events led to the revolution, and we'll learn how the revolution impacted Russia's involvement in World War I.
2. Provisional Government in Russia: Overview, Politics & Post-Revolution Chaos
In this lesson, we explore the First Russian Revolution in 1905 and the representative government the revolution first instituted, in addition to the violent crackdown and chaos after its institution.
3. The Bolsheviks Triumph: Battles, Events & the Shift of Power
In this lesson we explore the Bolsheviks' rise to power in 1917 and their subsequent struggle to hold onto authority in Russia during the Russian Civil War.
4. The Rise of Communism & Vladimir Lenin
In this lesson, we will examine the role Vladimir Lenin played as a leading architect of the communist system. We will explore his involvement in the Russian Revolution and the establishment of Soviet Russia.
5. The Soviet Union Under Stalin: Five-Year Plans, Purges & Policies
In this lesson, we explore the brutal rule of Joseph Stalin in the Soviet Union, from 1928 to 1953. Stalin radically transformed the economy of the Soviet Union, while also terrorizing its people.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Exam Prep course
- AP European History: Overview of the Renaissance
- AP European History: Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature
- AP European History: Reformation Roots & Teachings
- AP European History: The Reformation's Effects Across Europe
- AP European History: Wars of Religion
- AP European History: The Age of Expansion
- AP European History: The Rise of Monarchical Nation States
- AP European History: English History (1450-1700)
- AP European History: The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment
- AP European History: 18th Century Powers
- AP European History: The French Revolution
- AP European History: The Napoleonic Empire
- AP European History: 19th Century Revolutionary Movements
- AP European History: The First Industrial Revolution
- AP European History: Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century
- AP European History: Europe 1871-1914
- AP European History: World War I
- AP European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- AP European History: The Rise of Fascism
- AP European History: World War II
- AP European History: Post-War Europe
- AP European History: Cold War Europe
- AP European History: Integration: Europe after the Soviet Union
- Portions of the AP European History Exam
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP Exam
- Developing and Writing Your AP Exam Essay
- AP European History Flashcards