About This Chapter
AP European History: The Age of Expansion - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
As European culture saw a rebirth in the Renaissance, a curiosity about the rest of the world began to grow as well. In this chapter, you'll learn about the early explorations of Europeans who were searching for new routes of trade and fresh resources to be exchanged. Our instructors will explain how the Spanish and Portuguese Empires were at the forefront of this exploration and who they sent to these faraway lands. We'll also look at what and who these explorers found. This chapter is designed to teach you:
- The reach of the Spanish and Portuguese Empires
- Important explorers and their discoveries
- How global travel impacted society
- Which goods began to be exchanged
|Portuguese and Spanish Empires||Learn how these two empires came into being during this time and which lands they controlled.|
|How the Compass Helped Columbus||Take a look at how this new technology aided Columbus on his journey.|
|The Great Explorers of Spain and Portugal||Study famous explorers who traveled to new lands, including Henry the Navigator and Columbus.|
|Conquistadors||Examine these soldiers, explorers, and adventurers who sailed beyond Europe in the service of the Spanish and Portuguese Empires.|
|Bartolome de las Casas: Destruction of the Amerindians||Study the writings and reforms of this Spanish friar who chronicled the first decades of colonization in the West Indies.|
1. Portuguese and Spanish Empires: Growth in the New World & Asia
This lesson will explore the motivations, foundations, and growth of the Portuguese and Spanish empires in the New World and Asia. We will also meet a few famous Portuguese and Spanish explorers.
2. How the Compass Helped Columbus
This lesson will explore the use of the compass during Columbus' voyages to the New World. It will highlight the navigational techniques of dead reckoning and celestial navigation. It will also review the voyages of Columbus.
3. Great Explorers of Spain and Portugal: Aims & Discoveries
This lesson will focus on the New World explorations of Spain and Portugal. It will list explorers from both of these countries while also highlighting the motivations behind European exploration.
4. Conquistadores: Spanish Conquests of South & Central America
In this lesson, we will study the Spanish conquistadores who marched through the New World and helped to establish Spain's empire. We will focus especially on the conquistadores of South and Central America.
5. Bartolome de las Casas: Destruction of the Amerindians
In this lesson, we will meet Bartolome de las Casas, a 16th century priest and scholar who fought for the rights and dignity of Amerindians in the Spanish colonies of the New World.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Exam Prep course
- AP European History: Overview of the Renaissance
- AP European History: Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature
- AP European History: Reformation Roots & Teachings
- AP European History: The Reformation's Effects Across Europe
- AP European History: Wars of Religion
- AP European History: The Rise of Monarchical Nation States
- AP European History: English History (1450-1700)
- AP European History: The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment
- AP European History: 18th Century Powers
- AP European History: The French Revolution
- AP European History: The Napoleonic Empire
- AP European History: 19th Century Revolutionary Movements
- AP European History: The First Industrial Revolution
- AP European History: Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century
- AP European History: Europe 1871-1914
- AP European History: World War I
- AP European History: Russia After World War I
- AP European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- AP European History: The Rise of Fascism
- AP European History: World War II
- AP European History: Post-War Europe
- AP European History: Cold War Europe
- AP European History: Integration: Europe after the Soviet Union
- Portions of the AP European History Exam
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP Exam
- Developing and Writing Your AP Exam Essay
- AP European History Flashcards